E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Control Arm Spilt in half I believe (have pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Control Arm Spilt in half I believe (have pics)

I need a little help here. I was driving and suddenly we heard a snap. It seems like the control arm broke on the front passenger side of my E320. A friend told me it was the control arm, I want to confirm it with you guys so I do not end up buying the wrong part.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Control Arm Spilt in half I believe (have pics)-cimg0044.jpg   Control Arm Spilt in half I believe (have pics)-cimg0043.jpg   Control Arm Spilt in half I believe (have pics)-cimg0042.jpg  
Old 03-19-2005, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Holy $*(#

Looks like something hit it or assisting it's cracking...

Last I heard there is an updated control arm from MB.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Almost a Member!

I just happened all of a sudden, I guess the part wore down. I checked some online part stores and the price is quoted at around $160. Is this an DIY project or should I take it to an independent?
Thanks again
Old 03-19-2005, 07:43 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
I'd take it to the independent

Hey, Persian.

That really sucks; I agree with the other post that it looks as though it hit something. I've seen bricks and such fly up and get jammed and do quite a bit of damage.

Overall I'd recommend you just take it to your independent, particularly so if you've never changed one before. I've never done a control arm on a Benz but it can't be any easier than Chevy or Ford and they're no picnic. If you have the tools (including air tools) it's not the toughest job but without them it's backbreaking and painstaking. I'd also suggest that you replace the control arm bushings and the ball joint since the bushings are pressed in (so you can't feasibly get the bushings out of the old one) and it's likely the ball joint took a good wallop, too. Also, while they have it disassembled up on the lift they'll be able to do a thorough inspection to make sure that something else wasn't damaged. Finally, you'll also need to get an alignment following this, so it probably makes sense to take it to an independent who has the facilities to align it properly following the repair.

Good luck!
Greg

I just happened all of a sudden, I guess the part wore down. I checked some online part stores and the price is quoted at around $160. Is this an DIY project or should I take it to an independent?
Thanks again
Old 03-19-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
Is that rust that I see in the photos?
What state are you in?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:57 PM

Just what I was thinking the metal was weak from rust. Controls arms come with
the bushing and such installed and it is not a hard job but as the gentleman said you need power tools to make it a smooth job.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Europäischer Saloon
LOL OMG how can that ever happen?
Old 03-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm just gonna take it to an independent shop and they should be able to take care of. It seems like a tough and confusing task if I tried to do it on my own

Thanks
Old 03-20-2005, 03:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
The lower control arm is hollow. Water,dirt, and any can accumulate in the corner where the lower ball joint is mounted. If you jack you car up, you can put your fingers below the coil spring mount and any where else in the hollow area.

Looks like moisture accumulated under the ball joint area. Then, a good bump or road object did the rest of the job. Probaly just a pot-hole would have been good enough. Given your pictures, I would not drive around town looking for second opinions, your lower control arm should be replaced.

Depending on your milelage, control arm bushings on the other side should be done and an inspection of the arm to see if it is rusting also.