E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Opinions on brakes please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 Wagon
Opinions on brakes please!

Can anyone give me their opinion or experience with the following brake kit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33564
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Misc. comments

Hi, Johnny.

There's a lot on brakes particularly on this forum. I looked at these guys when I was shopping and passed for a couple of reasons. One, they use whatever blanks they buy, ATE, etc., which are probably fine as a basic rotor but I'd prefer a premium brand if you're going to subject it to machining stresses.

Two, they drill them themselves -- these are not factory-drilled Brembo or Zimmerman rotors, for example -- and unless the people know what they're doing, there's no point.

Third, they're also slotted, and slotted rotors will wear away your pads more quickly. Unless you have the need for maximum braking performance, don't get slotted rotors. And if you do need maximum braking performance, get a big brake kit that will come with bigger drilled rotors, larger calipers, etc.

Fourth, know that drilled rotors are simply more prone to cracks. If you need drilled rotors, buy the OEM ones like the Brembos or Zimmerman that the factory machines. If you're not hard on brakes and are wanting them primarily for cosmetic purposes, then pick a place that uses quality rotors and machines them, so you reduce the chances of stress failures. I have no problem with OEM rotors, such as the ATEs, but I wouldn't put them on my car if they were drilled.

To the rest of the forum: Anyone here used irotors?

Lastly, search the forums for what folks are doing for brakes; there's a wealth of information in here, and after you read through some of it, you'll easily recognize the *mis*information.

Take care and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C230 Coupe
Talking

They seem to be way over-priced too.

I have seen places like
http://www.autohausaz.com

selling OEM (Brembo/Zimmermann) vented rotors for much less and as the previous forum member indicated , you are probably much better off with them.

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/
has some Zimmermann X-drilled discs for less than 102.00 ea

You need to make sure that the dimensions are correct and that the mounting holes align properly. Buying some aftermarket and expensive parts may turn out to be even more expensive.