E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Strange occurance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320, 1983 300D
Strange occurance

Hello, this is my first post on this forum.

I have a 2001 E320. Yesterday, while driving home on Interstate, either one or two pieces of my underbody shield came loose. I am sure that I must have caught a piece of rubber from a blowout left on the road. However, I did not realize that my underbody shield was gone until I got home. I looked underneath to check my brake lines, tires, etc... And the only piece left was the middle section that covers the area of the transmission. It was hanging by one bolt. I took it off.

This morning I drove my 300D to work because I needed to ask you guys whether I needed to replace the shields before I drive it or is it okay to drive it without the shields in place until I can get them replaced?

Blair
Old 04-08-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'98 E320 4Matic, '85 380SL
I'm sure it's fine to drive without the shields. These shields are there in part to keep road grime off the car and also to reduce underbody drag to improve gas mileage. A few miles without the shields won't harm anything.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-08-2005, 12:01 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Talking Okay to drive, just be careful...

Hi and with lexrex I welcome you to the forum.

I agree with lexrex about the purposes behind the shields but you should get them replaced as soon as you reasonably can. The shields probably saved you from some other damage; if they hadn't been there to absorb the brunt of the impact, it likely would have damaged something else under there. So keep your eyes open.

I'm veering , but there's just too much junk on the road nowadays, and not enough in the public coffers to keep it clean. Worst thing I ever hit was a broken brake drum, probably fell of an uncovered junk truck. Unfortunately, I was on an interstate on a motorcycle and tried to dodge it, but clipped it with the edge of the front tire (at least I didn't hit it straight on) and it spun around and lodged between the pavement and the crash bar, shearing the bolt that held it on and then ripping a hole in the engine at an oil pressure port (ripped the whole port right off the engine) and blowing all the oil out in about 3 seconds. Had to abandon the bike on a freeway bridge, walk off the bridge and interstate and then come back with a truck and a friend to haul it home. A little heli-arcing patched up the engine case, but I thank God it didn't take my foot off.

My apologies for the digression and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Old 04-08-2005, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Driving for too long without the underbody plastic shields is not recommended, not only because if something jumped up as you guys mentioned, it could cause seriouse damage. My reason is also because of the fact that the engine compartment will get really dirty without the under protection, especially if driving in the rain, all of the water will come up and completely soak your engine. This as you know could also cause electrical problems.

IMHO, get them replaced ASAP.

Be carefull out there!

- JDG
Old 04-08-2005, 01:29 PM

2001 E320, 1983 300D
How many are there?

Thanks for your responses and advice. Also, thanks for the welcomes.

Since I still have the shield that covers the middle area, do you know how many I might have lost?

A friend of mine, who is a police officer, was going to try to find the lost shield on the side of the interstate today while he is on patrol. Hopefully he will find it.

Does anyone have a diagram of these shields so I can study their locations?

Thanks for the help.

Blair
Old 04-09-2005, 01:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by bdmada1996
Hello, this is my first post on this forum.

I have a 2001 E320. Yesterday, while driving home on Interstate, either one or two pieces of my underbody shield came loose. I am sure that I must have caught a piece of rubber from a blowout left on the road. However, I did not realize that my underbody shield was gone until I got home. I looked underneath to check my brake lines, tires, etc... And the only piece left was the middle section that covers the area of the transmission. It was hanging by one bolt. I took it off.

This morning I drove my 300D to work because I needed to ask you guys whether I needed to replace the shields before I drive it or is it okay to drive it without the shields in place until I can get them replaced?

Blair
that sucks man.. when i first got mine, i was heading on a trip, a car in front of me kicked up a old blown out tire and it cracked my bumper, my foglite and knock out the plastic whatever underneath.... i had to take my whole vacation with it in my trunk. sucked!