E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E430 Vs E430 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S500 SPORT DESIGNO
Post E430 Vs E430 4matic

Ok So Im In The Market For An 00-01 E430 What I Need To Know Is If The E430 Is Good Enough For Some Occasional Snow In Lake Tahoe Or Would I Need The 4matic? I Live In The Bay Area California So I Dont See Snow Unless I Go To The Mountains... So Im Looking To Hear From Owners Or People Who Have Driven Both E430 And E430 4matic I Appreciate It...calvin
Old 04-26-2005, 02:18 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Arrow It all depends...

Hi, Mr. E and welcome to the forum.

I drove both before deciding on the non-4-matic. Like you I live in the bay area and only occasionally hit snow. Below I've summarized the factors I considered before buying the 2wd version.

* The 2wd's ESP is very good. Through traction control and selective braking it provides an excellent level of stability, safety and the ability to accelerate in many circumstances. When I bought my car I had to road-trip it back through snowy and icy roads in Wyoming and Utah and didn't have a single problem; I will note that I drove pretty much with the conditions in mind, however, and therefore rarely saw the exclamatory warning indicator light up.

* In too many cases the one thing 4wd owners in general often overlook is that 4wd only allows you added traction for acceleration, which means that you can more quickly get to a speed from which you cannot stop or turn safely, i.e., you can get yourself in trouble that much quicker. Turning and braking limits are imposed by physics; the fact that all four wheels are driven won't help you stop any faster. Basically, you may be able to get unstuck without chains if you have 4wd and may be able to start from very icy patches more easily.

* 4-matic means more things to break down and repair.

* I don't run performance tires (which reduce available traction in inclement weather, particularly cold inclement weather, such as sleet, snow and ice).

* 4-matic results in slightly lowered performance and gas mileage.

* Fewer suspension mods possible for 4-matic (mild lowering, staggered tires, etc.).

* I don't spend much time driving on snowy and icy roads and would not venture into a significant snowfall unless there absolutely were no other option. If I still lived in Colorado I might well have gone for the 4-matic, but as well as the 2wd with ESP performed on the drive back, perhaps not.

Basically it comes down to how you weigh out those various factors, any one of which could turn the tide one way or the other. The real trick is to make sure you get maintenance records and if you can get a starmark extended warranty. All the technology in these cars gets very expensive to repair.

Good luck, happy shopping, and enjoy the ride.
Greg
Old 04-26-2005, 04:46 PM

1997 E420
My traction control light seems to come on quite a bit in Tahoe. It's ok, as long as it's not a big storm and if you drive according to conditions. I've never had a problem, but then again, I'll take a different car before I'll chain up my car.

The bigger problem for me is fitting skis into the backseat since the seats don't fold down!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:47 PM

Get the 4matic. I bought the 2wd at the same time a friend got the 4matic and I wish I had spent the extra for the 4matic. I'm in some of the same conditions as you where I'm driving to Vermont weekends all winter long to ski. Most of the time the roads are clear and my 2wd with Blizzaks and 175 lbs of weight in the trunk handles like a champ but every so often a big blizzard comes along and I'm useless going up steep hills. Sure, once I get a head of steam going it's great, but if I have to stop on an incline for traffic on the way up to the mountain my nerves are frayed hoping that I'll get the traction to get myself going again. (The last thing I ever want is to be the cuase of a traffic backup on the way to the mountain on a powder day.) Meanwhile, my friend is cruising away like a big ugly SUV... Don't make my mistake, if you're a skier or ever encounter snow on the road, buy the 4matic. Why take the chance?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500 SPORT DESIGNO
That helped a lot thanks for the quick response sounds like i might skip the 4 matic thanks again!
Originally Posted by Gregs210
Hi, Mr. E and welcome to the forum.

I drove both before deciding on the non-4-matic. Like you I live in the bay area and only occasionally hit snow. Below I've summarized the factors I considered before buying the 2wd version.

* The 2wd's ESP is very good. Through traction control and selective braking it provides an excellent level of stability, safety and the ability to accelerate in many circumstances. When I bought my car I had to road-trip it back through snowy and icy roads in Wyoming and Utah and didn't have a single problem; I will note that I drove pretty much with the conditions in mind, however, and therefore rarely saw the exclamatory warning indicator light up.

* In too many cases the one thing 4wd owners in general often overlook is that 4wd only allows you added traction for acceleration, which means that you can more quickly get to a speed from which you cannot stop or turn safely, i.e., you can get yourself in trouble that much quicker. Turning and braking limits are imposed by physics; the fact that all four wheels are driven won't help you stop any faster. Basically, you may be able to get unstuck without chains if you have 4wd and may be able to start from very icy patches more easily.

* 4-matic means more things to break down and repair.

* I don't run performance tires (which reduce available traction in inclement weather, particularly cold inclement weather, such as sleet, snow and ice).

* 4-matic results in slightly lowered performance and gas mileage.

* Fewer suspension mods possible for 4-matic (mild lowering, staggered tires, etc.).

* I don't spend much time driving on snowy and icy roads and would not venture into a significant snowfall unless there absolutely were no other option. If I still lived in Colorado I might well have gone for the 4-matic, but as well as the 2wd with ESP performed on the drive back, perhaps not.

Basically it comes down to how you weigh out those various factors, any one of which could turn the tide one way or the other. The real trick is to make sure you get maintenance records and if you can get a starmark extended warranty. All the technology in these cars gets very expensive to repair.

Good luck, happy shopping, and enjoy the ride.
Greg