E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Keep her or trash her that is the question!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep her or trash her that is the question!

Ok I have a 96 E320 and it drives great but it needs a few repairs to get it up to snuff. I was planning to have the fan clutch fixed, even though it works, it is some how loose and has started to tap the radiator when under acceleration. Also I have a leak in my a/c system as well as a broken glove box door that I will have fixed this weekend. The car has 169,000 miles on it but drives silky smooth. The transmission has been redone and over all the car is in ok shape other than the top of the roof paint fading because of a tree at my house.

What I want to know is this car worth about another 2,500 dollars in upgrades? I want to get her painted and the repair above done. Also I am going to buy new door handles because the current ones need replacing. The car has all the records to it and has been cared for pretty well I would think. If I could get mostly by with another 40K miles out of it without a huge amount of repairs I would go for it but I am scared to pump more money into it! Should I sell it or keep it because it is a nice daily driver. I will really appreciate you comments because they will really help me.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:43 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Thumbs up Keep it...

First things first: ignore the glove box and replace that fan clutch before it sends your fan through the radiator and hood; seriously, I've seen that and it's neither pretty nor inexpensive. It's not a tough job, definitely a DIY if you have basic skills.

And if you like the car -- which you obviously do -- then following the Tappet Bros.' theory, it's always cheaper to fix an old car than to buy a new one, particularly if it's a car you like. $350 a month is about average for car payments nowadays (that's for regular cars, not MBZs) so that's a lot of repairs in lieu of a car payment.

Especially since you've taken such great care of it, if you like it, keep it. If it helps, I used to counsel my clients to set aside the actual car payment of what they would buy, and then they had a pool of money from which to repair the car or make a big down payment.

Take care and keep enjoying that ride,
Greg
Old 05-28-2005, 12:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes AMG
dude, thats crazy, "is your car worth $2500 more bucks" or what ever.... its a bad *** car and that motor will take you 400k miles easy. my dad did it. the w210 in my opinon looks better to the new ones. just do the repairs and give your car a make over. wheels, lower, bodykit, new lights...... wal-laa! brand new old car!
Old 05-28-2005, 08:09 AM

Ok if you guys really think it will last. It is not my main car so that is why I did not want to keep putting so much money out when I still have payments left on my Cadillac which I could pay off faster if I did not always spend so much on the Benz. I think you are right though and I just needed to hear someone else say it. New head lights, paint, kit and she will most likely serve me for a bit more time.

Thanks for the replies.