E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

98' E430 "display malfunction" message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98' E430 "display malfunction" message

My 98' E430 has the message "Display Malfunction" along with the symbol of a radiator on the instrument cluster display everytime I start up the car. The message will not go away until I press the "R" reset button on the lower right portion of the instrument cluster twice. I have to press it twice because after I press the "R" button once, they symbol of the display changes from that of a radiator to the symbol of the "low washer fluid", the display returns to the normal odometer/tripmeter/clock display after the second time I press the 'R" button.

Ive checked the washer fluid and coolant reservoir and they are full, their respective sensors seem to be ok too.

Have had the car scanned and the error message reset by an MB computer, but the "Display Malfunction" message still comes back when I restart the car.

Any ideas?
Old 06-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Almost a Member!

'96 E320
Off the top of my head, sounds like the display is acting up instead of the problems it is reporting.

Unless someone jumps in here with some past experience, I would swing by someplace that reads codes for free and let them help you narrow it down. Around here AutoZone is the place. Make a few calls first.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I had similar problem with that "Display Malfunction", I thought it was a problem with radiator and keep troubleshoot it, w/o success. Both dealer and shop try to reset the computer, no go either.

I then replaced it with another instrument cluster (bought from eBay for $60), and the problem go away. Turn out the LCD control unit (LCD pump ??) in my cluster screw up, and it give symbol almost like the radiator.

The only problem is that my mileage went down 30K with the new cluster (from 100K --> 70K). I rather live with that than with warning msg all the time. I've put another 15K since.

Thought all pre 2000 clusters look similar, 96-97 are different than 98 (FSS introduced), and 98 is different than 99 (optical loop introduced). So be careful if you decide to replace the IC.

Originally Posted by amgmercedes
My 98' E430 has the message "Display Malfunction" along with the symbol of a radiator on the instrument cluster display everytime I start up the car. The message will not go away until I press the "R" reset button on the lower right portion of the instrument cluster twice. I have to press it twice because after I press the "R" button once, they symbol of the display changes from that of a radiator to the symbol of the "low washer fluid", the display returns to the normal odometer/tripmeter/clock display after the second time I press the 'R" button.

Ive checked the washer fluid and coolant reservoir and they are full, their respective sensors seem to be ok too.

Have had the car scanned and the error message reset by an MB computer, but the "Display Malfunction" message still comes back when I restart the car.

Any ideas?

Last edited by zam2000; 06-01-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by zam2000
I had similar problem with that "Display Malfunction",
Turn out the LCD control unit (LCD pump ??) in my cluster screw up, and it give symbol almost like the radiator.
the symbol that gets displayed with "display malfunction" IS the radiator...
The error message can be caused by several things...like a software setting in the instrument cluster itself.

greetingz,
Old 06-03-2005, 10:32 PM

What things can cause this error message? What should I check?
If it is the software of the instrument cluster, how do I fix this? What may have caused it to go wrong in the first place?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
I had a feeling that IC could be troublesome. Cuz I have some problem with the lighting of my odometer, like a fade. I replace the bulb, seem to solve it for a while then it fade sometimes and goes back to normal.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:54 PM

"the message 'Display Malfunction' along with the symbol of a radiator on the instrument cluster display everytime I start up the car".
Ok I had the same thing in my 1998 E430, what I did to get rid of that message is to fill up my Windshield Washer Fluid canister. I think sensor is acting up when there is not enought of Winshield Washer Fluid. It worked for me and everytime now when I see that message I know I need to fill the Winshield Washer canister. LOL ---> GOO Mercedes.