E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Another sad "My car won't start" tale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 E320
Another sad "My car won't start" tale

Here's another sad tale of woe about a pretty car that won't always start. Beginning about two years ago my '98 E320 would occasionally balk at starting after short trips. One or two tries and it would start, but yesterday after a mile's drive to the store and sitting parked for 90 seconds, it became a Nova (No go). Initial start was absolutely cold, in the garage, and normal. It was 80'ish out and high humidity. Drove the mile to the store without event. When I tried to leave the store, turned the ignition on, I could hear the fuel pump activate, hit the starter, motor would catch and surge (at a normal starting pace), then die. It was like the cold start injector charged the intake manifold w/ fuel, but then the regular injectors never got pressure. Tried to start about half a dozen times before giving up in frustration. No "check engine light", no smoke, no flame, no metalic (bad) noises ... and no go. I had half a tank of Shell premium which had been in the car less than a week. I give the temp and fuel info because it seemed almost like a vapor lock. I walked the mile back home, kicking small dogs and slapping children to relieve my anger. Called for a tow truck, climbed in my '01 Acura (which always starts), drove back to the store to wait for the tow, just for the hell of it tried the MB's starter once more, and bingo, it started just as if nothing untoward had ever occured. You can imagine the rest. Now I've got two cars at the store a mile from home and "Tiny" (6'4" operator or Tiny's Towing) telling me about his Sunday dinner back home cooling on the table. Gave Tiny two twenties for his trouble, shuttled both cars back home with another mile walk in between, and used the time spent walking to consider a second Acura ... one that starts.
Extended warranty ended in April, so now I "own" it. Anyone have clue what's going on with my MB short of taking it to the dealer and bending over w/ wallet exposed?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
find out if it's fuel related or spark related.spray carb cleaner into the throtle and if it starts you know it's fuel related.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 E320
RobertG Thanks for the input. This is definitely a fuel issue. Engine cranks, catches, and surges to about 1500 RPM, then dies like out of gas; an "almost" normal starting sequence except the motor doesn't continue to run at idle.