E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E420 Engine Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2005 | 03:13 PM

Question E420 Engine Oil Filter

Just wondering if some one knows what grade engine oil I am suppose to use for my 97 E420 and how often do u change it. Also is it difficult to get to the filter and change it.
Old 06-20-2005 | 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Blackfield
Just wondering if some one knows what grade engine oil I am suppose to use for my 97 E420 and how often do u change it. Also is it difficult to get to the filter and change it.
Our '97s originally did NOT use synthetic oil. However I am a believer in synthetic and have been using it in all my cars for the last 5 years or so. MB recommends Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic and that is what I use on my E420. I buy the oil at Autozone here in Atlanta.

As for the oil filter, it is much more difficult to get to than any car I have owned although once you do it once, it is very easy. To get to it you have to remove the air filter cover, disconnect the hose that goes from the bumper to the airbox, and then lift out the air box with the entire engine cover(It comes out in one huge piece). The airbox and cover are held in place with rubber grommets so there is no unscrewing to do. Just pull it hard and the whole piece comes out.

Once you get the air box out you will see the filter cannister. Remove the cover by removing the center bolt and then pry off the cover. Remember to replace the gaskets(2) in the lid of the cannister with new ones that should be supplied with your new filter element.

To access the oil drain plug, you will need to remove the bottom engine cover behind the bumper by removing four small bolts. You will see the oil drain plug on the passenger side of the oil pan. Replace the oil plug washer with a new copper crush washer.

Good Luck