E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Center console buttons dont work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center console buttons dont work

my 210 car battery died. now the center console buttons dont work. power window, trunk release, and side view mirror.

the esp button still works.

my windows will work if i use my remote key as well as my trunk remote.

thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:55 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Yikes!

Hi, Robert, and welcome to the forum.

I've never heard of that happening after swapping a battery. You do have to re-synch the window switches and if your car is so equipped reset the ESP/ABS warnings (check the manual for the specifics), but the trunk switch makes no sense at all. The only time mine doesn't release is when I have used the little key to set it in valet mode or whatever they call it. I can't imagine that it's actually related to changing the battery beyond mere coincidence, although on an older model it might have something in the manual about having to reset something there as well. Wouldn't surprise me in any event.

It's said that every MBZ owner needs a good independent mechanic, so perhaps this is your opportunity to find one. Post back up after you get a solution.

Good luck and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Old 06-21-2005, 10:16 PM

I did re-sync the abs by turning the wheel all the way left and right, but i didnt see in the owners manual how to re sync the windows. What page are the instructions on?

Also when the battery died i did have to use the valet key to get into the trunk, so that might be the trunk problem.

That leaves the side view mirrors. Perhaps the window sync will fix it?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:11 AM

Today I re-synced the sunroof. I tried to re-sync the windows, but they didnt work. I also made sure my trunk was unlocked. the center console trunk release still doesnt work.

There must be something that controls the center console. I cant find a fuse that says "center console" or anything similar. I checked the window fuses, and thay are ok. They do work with the remote key.

I checked the rear window interior buttons today and they dont work either. Im guessing it it because the child window lock is located on the center console.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:37 PM

Dealer is fixing it for $600.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Happened to mine when I unplugged my batteries. If u have completely disconnected your battery you will usually need to reset your computer - I believe its much cheaper than $600 to do that and I believe there are places in the US that will do it for free. Next time, be sure to hook up another battery before you unplug your original battery otherwise the on-board computer will become corrupted and the switches (and maybe other electronic devices) will not work properly.