E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

LED tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by JCaci88
Sorry I am not the vendor or company making these. Your ideas sound good. If i hear of anything I will let you know if any different styles come up.
can you please post the email(s) on here........thanks
Old 07-22-2005, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Schnitzer E46
I would be interested in E55 style LED taillights.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:12 AM

CLS 550 AMG pckg
Originally Posted by eLemnt | 0ne
I would be interested in E55 style LED taillights.
So far it looks like If you wanted an E-55 look you would have to smoke out the upper

portions yourself or get someone who knows how to use the self tinting aerosol spray.

I know someone who did that to his 2000 E Class himself and they came out good.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2002 W210 M112 | 2021 X247 M270 | 2015 Audi SQ5 | 2015 VW Golf R
smoke lights

In fact i just smoke the taillights myself yesterday. Job was quite easy. Get a roll of masking tape and tape all the red portion. Then just use the Smoke spray and spray those light evenly *from distance*. It looks very similar to E55 lights. I will post some pix this weekend.

This project just cost 20bucks
Old 07-22-2005, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Saw a C sedan with aftermarket LED tail light on the way to work today. I wasn't impress much by it. The LED used in the light lack the brightness when brake light is on. Also, the viewing angle is narrow, from the next lane, I could hardly detect it when the brake light is turned on. It's sunny morning, tail light driving light wasn't on, so I have no clue how it looks. Just as a lot of aftermarket tailight out there, driving could be put at risk when you slam the brake, and drivers behind can't tell from your brake light.

I think the light manufacture (Depo ??) might have used the 5mm LED instead of the superflux LED to cut cost. But 5mm is far off compared to superflux in term of performance (brightness, reaction time, heat ...).

I don't know how the light for the E will be. I'll take my name off the group buying list for now. If I'm going with LED, I want something like the Infinity FX: good viewing angle, and bright !!! (at least for the brake light).

Guess I'll go back to my LED project again. It's not as nice as I want, but so far, I got it bright
Old 07-22-2005, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Good point zam. Is it possible to get bent or bend the LED cluster so that it goes round the corner I wonder? That might help with the visibility. I will check shops here to see if these things are available and hopefully get to see the aftermarket ones in action and will sure report back if I do.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by Whitey
Good point zam. Is it possible to get bent or bend the LED cluster so that it goes round the corner I wonder? That might help with the visibility. I will check shops here to see if these things are available and hopefully get to see the aftermarket ones in action and will sure report back if I do.
i agree........i say someone should buy one of those and install them and take some pics.......

zam's looks better to me then the ones from ebay
Old 07-22-2005, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Alex, Dave

I'm ordering some superflux LED & board, will try them when they arrive & I could put something up.

I've spent almost $200 on these stuffs so far, not counting my spare tailight set (they're really priceeyyyyy), hopefully, some good thing come out that I could share not to mention my wife will kill me if I have nothing to show, haha

From what I've seen in couple aftermarket LED tailight, they use weak LED, so they have to build a deep reflective board to boot up light, but that kill viewing angle. The one like from Infinity and BMW don't need any of these crap: they're bright, and bright, and could be seen from any angle.

Originally Posted by alexbenz
i agree........i say someone should buy one of those and install them and take some pics.......

zam's looks better to me then the ones from ebay

Last edited by zam2000; 07-22-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:59 PM

CLS 550 AMG pckg
LED Tail light product info.

The attached picture is what it looks like the company did the the lights and below is some info they advertised about the lights: (Just some info not trying to convince or twist anyones arm)

* Real L.E.D technology (just like the ones used in the new S-Class/E-Class). Ultra long life plus energy efficient

* x40 LED Bulbs on each side of the tail lights

* Bulbs and wires are Included, designed for direct Plug & Play, easy installation

* DOT/SAE & TUV Approved, E-Marked, which means it is Street Legal!!!

Originally Posted by zam2000
Alex, Dave

I'm ordering some superflux LED & board, will try them when they arrive & I could put something up.

I've spent almost $200 on these stuffs so far, not counting my spare tailight set (they're really priceeyyyyy), hopefully, some good thing come out that I could share not to mention my wife will kill me if I have nothing to show, haha

From what I've seen in couple aftermarket LED tailight, they use weak LED, so they have to build a deep reflective board to boot up light, but that kill viewing angle. The one like from Infinity and BMW don't need any of these crap: they're bright, and bright, and could be seen from any angle.
Attached Thumbnails LED tail lights-tl_mbz_w210_led_05.jpg  
Old 07-22-2005, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Those lights look so cheap, like the Taiwanese aftermarket.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by michakaveli
Those lights look so cheap, like the Taiwanese aftermarket.
Maybe they are I just dont understand why they don't do a little bit more R&D before they put these things on the market - just like the projectors. Visibility/safety has got to be the key consideration in lights
Old 07-22-2005, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Alex, Dave

$200 is still less than buying a set. Well, you've gone this far and your spare lights are no longer reversible......if cost is not going to be too much more, no reason why not press ahead?

Alex, I'll get you a set if you want....I'm sure not gonna waste money on that crap, especially after seeing the back
Old 07-22-2005, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
$200 is still less than buying a set. Well, you've gone this far and your spare lights are no longer reversible......if cost is not going to be too much more, no reason why not press ahead?

Alex, I'll get you a set if you want....I'm sure not gonna waste money on that crap, especially after seeing the back
yea your right i'm not wasting any money on it now........it looks way to mickey mouse to me.......

by thw way i think by next month my car's going in the shop.......the plans are starting...........
Old 07-22-2005, 10:39 PM

CLS 550 AMG pckg
LOL Guys your too funny......... Relax, its not like The other companies like APC and Altezza are any better quality........ I mean if ya think about the price its not that bad especially considering what a stock set at the dealer costs. Definitley a good upgrade if ya have the 1996-1999 lights..............

But to each his own.................. No pressure.........
Old 07-22-2005, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by JCaci88
LOL Guys your too funny......... Relax, its not like The other companies like APC and Altezza are any better quality........ I mean if ya think about the price its not that bad especially considering what a stock set at the dealer costs. Definitley a good upgrade if ya have the 1996-1999 lights..............

But to each his own.................. No pressure.........
haha, you shouldn't take it the wrong way if people don't bite unless it's your product.......i don't care for the price but to me i want great quality........zam's side project looked better to me, this guy should do the same as zam and light one up in a pic......
Old 07-22-2005, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by alexbenz
yea your right i'm not wasting any money on it now........it looks way to mickey mouse to me.......

by thw way i think by next month my car's going in the shop.......the plans are starting...........
So will we be "shocked" anytime soon?

In a way JCaci88, in all this talk we're also hoping others (including yourself) would reconsider them too. A sure upgrade for the pre-00 E's would be the OEM facelifted tails. At least least you're assured of quality, light output and of course, no leaks. In time, Zam will probably come up with some DIY LED upgrade for those....
Old 07-23-2005, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
So will we be "shocked" anytime soon?

In a way JCaci88, in all this talk we're also hoping others (including yourself) would reconsider them too. A sure upgrade for the pre-00 E's would be the OEM facelifted tails. At least least you're assured of quality, light output and of course, no leaks. In time, Zam will probably come up with some DIY LED upgrade for those....
hopefully.........after it goes in it'll take a good 1-2 months but i'll have some teaser pics.......
Old 07-26-2005, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Saw on the net. Kind of relief that I didn't go ahead w/ the purchase. I guess it's all personal choice, some like it, some don't. I just happen to be in the "don't" group.

As you can see in the last two pix. the difference between brake light on and off wasn't enough. Also, they use the thin cover, so that weak LED light can go through (probably use the cheaper 5mm LED). The problem is that on the two inner lights (trunk lid), the light cover is so thin, you could actually see the bulb inside.

Last edited by zam2000; 07-26-2005 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thumbs down

....and look at the difference in brightness compared to the third/deck brakelight.

I saw a closeup pic at the shop last night as they did not keep any stock......yep, confirmed the catalogue was from a Taiwanese manufacturer. No one was able confirm whether these lights will trip the light-out warning either (no one was game enough to even stock, let alone install these here )....and they had the nerve to charge USD358 for it
Old 07-26-2005, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Alex, Dave

man those pics you posted on that blakc w210 it looks nasty.........it was also dim too.........it would look a lot better it the turn signal portion was led too.........
Old 07-26-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes AMG
that looks...... i dont' like
Old 07-26-2005, 08:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes AMG
that looks like some kind of bmw... inm not sure which
Old 07-27-2005, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by mysticblu999
that looks like some kind of bmw... inm not sure which
Imagine the outer ones being taller than the inner ones and you will see an E46 3 series.........
Old 07-27-2005, 10:28 PM

e320 99
led lights that are sweet

I love those led lights that are on the new range or land rover. Especially where the blinker is, it changes from orange to red when the break is hit...
Old 07-28-2005, 01:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
Boo!

Man...they can NEVER get those damn LEDs right...trying to go cheap = UGLY! Just do it right the first time, have them be $400-$500, and let the price go down. I'd much rather have that...at least there would be quality. Here's a thought: get the set and gut the LED's and put the zam2000 touch to it. That aftermarket plastic is a bit thin...JEEZ...the more I look at it, the more I'm pissed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED tail lights