E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Can a/c evaporators be refurbished?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver '00 E320
Can a/c evaporators be refurbished?

I couldn't take the heat and humidity any longer. I broke down and had my leaking evaporator replaced.

I found an un-official MB repair shop in Northeast Orlando called Jerry's MB Repair that did the job for just under 2k. That's about 60% of what the dealer wanted and this mechanic, who was trained and certfied by MB, did it in two days, not a week that I think it would have taken the dealer. He also replaced all the dash filters along with the evaporator and dryer.

This mechanic would only use MB parts so now I have a used MB evaporator that was very expensive when new, that has a small leak in it. If there are any radiator - evaporator refurbishment shops out there then it might be worthwhile to get this one repaired and hang on to it in case it ever happens again.

Does anyone know of any place that does refurbishment/repair of evaporators?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:50 PM

An alternative???

This might be of help... although it wasn't exactly what you were asking for.

http://www.aircondition.com/knowledg...akSealers.html

Interestingly, towards the end of the article is this line...

"In the past several years, we have found that 1 of 6 cars reported are Mercedes. These vehicles have a high rate of evaporator failure, and about a 20+ labor-hour repair."
Old 08-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Silver '00 E320
Thanks cklanke. I really could have used that information back when I tried using a sealer. I know some of you out there who have a/c problems are thinking about trying sealer. It might be a good idea for you to take a look at that article cklanke posted.

If a sealer just slows down the leak and doesn't stop it, as it did in my case, sooner or later you'll run out of coolent and have to either recharge or possibly try more sealent and recharge. I chose not to keep chasing the problem and had the whole job done.

A MB evaporator runs about $500. That's why I am looking around for a refurb shop. They refub radiators which are similar, only larger, and although I don't know the price of MB radiators I'm thinking they might not be more than evaporators.