E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Quirks happening – Anything to worry about?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005 | 11:12 AM

2002 E430 4MATIC
Quirks happening – Anything to worry about?

I am wondering if I should be concerned or not?

I have a 2002 E430 4MATIC.

A couple of months ago, the rear passenger window would not close all the way. My youngest son put the window down and I hit the express to close it and it hit the top and then dropped about an inch. I thought it was my son pushing the button, so I gave him heck and hit the express again and it did the same thing. So I hollered at him this time and did it again. Again the window dropped by it self. He said that he wasn’t doing it. So I did it several times and every time it did it again. So I closed it by not pushing the button in the whole way to the express and got it close. Problem has not repeated it self since then.

On Monday I could not close my sunroof with the overhead switch when I got to my destination, I kept trying and it didn’t work so I figured I would try with the remote. Got out of the car, pointed the remote at the door handle and it worked. The sunroof closed. Fine!

This morning, when I got into the car and started it I didn’t have any sound. I turned the knob on the command and went full bore and sounded like blown speakers. Turned it back and instant off, turned it back up and it crackled and same thing. I turned the command off and on several times while I was driving and that did not fix it. I thought the command went out. Lucky I am still under warranty till January. I got the idea to pull over and shut the car down and restart it. I did that and the problem went away. Everything’s fine.

Are these just little quirks from a car that has so much integration? Or should I be worried that something is happing and right after my warranty expires, bam!
Old 08-26-2005 | 01:56 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
The Window trick is not uncommon. The computer has lost track of where the top of the window is and when it hits the top it thinks it's meeting resistance (like your son's hand) and is reversing itself for safety.

Cure is to push it to the top using the non express and then restart the car to reset the system, or roll the window all of the way down and then express it up. Either way, it's not a huge issue. Happens randomly about once a year to my '98.

Sunroof, You can close the sunroof by pushing the button forward or pulling it down in the front. My sunroof is finicky and prefers that I pull the front of the button down. I have never used the sunroof very much and since it started getting picky about 2 years ago, I have given up on it entirely. I just don't have the patience to figure out which way the button wants to be pushed today (I have enough of those problems with my wife).

No help on the command, I don't have one and have never had that problem with my radio.
Old 08-26-2005 | 06:33 PM

2001 E-430 4-Matic
When the window fails to close, the proper procedure is to hold the window switch in the up position for several seconds to "retrain" the system. If that fails, use the remote key fob to lock the car and close the windows.
I had the same intermittent crackling problem on a replacement COMAND unit that was installed after the first unit stopped ejecting CDs. The dealer refused to believe us, until my wife drove straight to the dealer when the problem occurred, without shutting off the engined. Once they heard it, they replaced the COMAND unit.