E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

She admitted it!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I love my Mercedes cars. I had the W210 for about 4 years and replaced it with the E350 now.

I would gladly pay twice as much for a benz just because it is the safest car around. If my wife and kids are going to be safe its gonna be in a benz. Hell the insurance is more expensive on my Odyssey and TL than on my E55, E350, CLS55, or even my parents S600.

Lets face it, safety is one of the factors that draws us into buying our beloved MB's.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 175 Likes on 145 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
There are plenty of nice cars out there, and the Lexus is certainly a sensible choice. Of course, no one ever accused me of being sensible. MB is a kind of club I've always wanted to be a member of, and I don't try to justify or rationalize it. That's why I came to a MB forum: to be with like-minded fans of the automobile. Lexus/BMW/Audi drivers aren't wrong, they're just not in the club. Your manager may not have expressed it perfectly, as far as "image", but she misses being in the club. I say to her, "welcome back."
Old 11-11-2005, 05:53 PM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
OMG! She bought a new E350 today and called me to say she's back in "the club!" How funny you said that! I told her I posted about her missing something with the Lexus. She laughed at the SELF IMAGE thing. Trust me, this lady has no self image issues, PHD, 38 years old, runs marathons, 3 kids and is smokin hot.

She said it wasn't a self image thing it was more of a car image thing. She said, "what would you feel like if you drove around in a low model Kia? Now, how do you feel when you drive around in a Mercedes?" You just feel better, like putting on your best suit, you feel better, you feel like a success and you do a better job. Said she never got that feeling with her Lexus, but the minute she got in her new Mercedes today, she felt great.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Originally Posted by smazur
Buying an MB for image is ridiculous. My car's been in the shop so long that my image is permanently ruined from the Chevy Malibu that I have to rent every other month while the 97 E320's being fixed.

that was good
Old 11-12-2005, 03:02 PM

2001 E320
Originally Posted by platinumsc

Until then, lexus is the number one car marque in the world today. You can dispute it all you like, just look at the sales figures. Numbers never lie. Also, look at how many used benzes you see for sell in the classifieds. Overwhelming number of benzes. Very few lexus. Numbers rarely lie!
I agree that Lexus is a nice brand, though myself I would never own one. Toyota does build a quality car though... with no disrepect, I'm curious why your on a M-B board?

I own a Harley and a lot of Yamaha Road Star riders sure spend a lot of time on the Harley forums telling us how great the Road Star is and how bad the Harley's are... my feeling is if you like Toyotas, great, drive a Toyota but I always wonder what the motivation is in buying one brand but spending time on other forums knocking that brand... I guess sometimes it sounds more like '***** envy' to me...

Last edited by Richard / E320; 11-12-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:19 PM

1998 E430 Sport and 2003 E500
I'd have to second Richard's point... We own a Sea Ray boat and I spend some time on their boards and on BOATUS boards as well. Every time a negative comment or question about service comes up...BOOM...the non-owners are on the board to bash the brand. Do they spend as much time on the Bayliner or Larson board if that's what they own? Sometimes I wonder.

Own what you want - buy what you want - NONE of us care. If you want to own a KIA or a Chevy, you probably have your own reasons, and they could be one of several; not necessarily affordability, either. I won't knock that; to each his (or her) own. Many of us, myself included, own a number of brands. I have invested plenty in upkeep and repair of a Chev Suburban, but it was purpose-bought and I'm not about to spend my evenings and weekends making sure that everyone on the truck boards know that I've been frustrated from time to time. Save your negative input or spend your time on a general board or a KIA board rather than wasting the time and energy of some of us who just happen to have something in common and like our MB product.

Even the logic of smazur I don't understand... Smazur, I don't know you, but if you're so unhappy with your ride and your experience, and so quick to jump on the bandwagon of "I'll sure never buy one of these again", then why waste yours and everyone else's time here?
Old 11-12-2005, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
MB is at the top of a food chain, and as such many will take aim at it, and try to claim their product is better.. it's human nature. But as long as MB build the best production cars in the world, I'll own an MB.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
The entire seat adjustment control pannel on our new Dodge Caravan fell off of the drivers seat today while we were doing errands. We stopped at the dealer and this pannel is held to the drivers seat by 4 screws. 2 of the screws had popped out and the other two were missing entirely.

They got some screws, screwed them in and we were on our way in 15 minutes. Driving down the road my wife says, "if that happened to your Mercedes you would have blown your top!" You know, she's right, I would have *****ed about it, and complained about how expensive this car was and how nothing should go wrong. You just expect it on most other cars and don't even notice it! I think this is the root of the issues. Such high expectations, and when something minor happens...........end of the world.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by guitarplayer
The entire seat adjustment control pannel on our new Dodge Caravan fell off of the drivers seat today while we were doing errands. We stopped at the dealer and this pannel is held to the drivers seat by 4 screws. 2 of the screws had popped out and the other two were missing entirely.

They got some screws, screwed them in and we were on our way in 15 minutes. Driving down the road my wife says, "if that happened to your Mercedes you would have blown your top!" You know, she's right, I would have *****ed about it, and complained about how expensive this car was and how nothing should go wrong. You just expect it on most other cars and don't even notice it! I think this is the root of the issues. Such high expectations, and when something minor happens...........end of the world.

This is true, the buyer of these cars is typically more educated, and expects more for him money.. Higher standards to meet than most other car makers.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:05 AM

Black '98 E320 4Matic
I'm sure Lexus is a nice car and reliable, too. Consumer Reports magazine loves them and loves to hate MBs for their reliability issues. However, let's face it, the Germans know how to build a great machine. So do the Japanese but their cars just don't drive like an MB. Driving a Lexus is just plain boring. To me, their not a fun car to drive.

MB has screwed up in the areas of power equipment and electronics -- which can be expensive to fix. But what's the percentage of E Class MB owners (210s and 211s) that have both serious and consistent problems in these areas or other areas as well? I'd bet the number would be low.

I think there are two kinds of people who come to this web site: 1) those who are MB enthusiasts, and 2) those who are having problems with their MBs and come here seeking advice. Of course we're going to hear a lot about the car's problems because that's one of the purposes of this site: to discuss car problems. This doesn't mean that in the real world the majority of those who drive an MB are having problems on a regular basis. I'm certain that isn't the case.

A Lexus is just a fancy Toyota and an Acura is a sharp looking Honda. I don't know about you folks, but here in UT, Lexus owners are a dime a dozen. They're everywhere. I see them while on my 35-minute work commute on the freeway in the mornings and again in the evenings. How many MBs do I see? Hardly any. My car stands out as an exception to the rule and I'm proud of that.

I guess it's all a matter of perception, but driving an MB is a lot more fun than driving a fancy looking Toyota. The name, "Mercedes Benz," will always be associated with quality, safety, good looks, luxury, and prestige. Am I rich or famous? No. Do I want to project an image that I'm rich or famous? No! Do I like driving a car that's more than just a get-me-around-town Camry? You bet. I spend a lot of time in my car each day. I'd rather be driving something fun than something boring -- like a Lexus.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
98MBE320, I'd like to start out with complimenting you on your post.

I found it all to be true, except in the last two paragraphs. I don't think Lexus' are fancy Toyotas, I think they are just Toyotas. Nothing wrong with that though.

As for Lexus' being a dime a dozen, there are roughly 100,000 W211's. A few thousand more BMW's were sold this month than Lexus' were, and then behind that, Mercedes, and sadly Audi had some 7000 sales this month. If you really wanted exclusivity, you should've gotten an Audi at the price point.

As for the name being associated with those traits, I'd love for you to go out and ask anyone others. No one looks at a Mercedes and says quality. People look to Japanese cars and say, that's a quality machine. That's not saying much though, because people still think Volvos are the safest cars ever. With the new LF-S styling theme recieving so much praise, Lexus' are looking (to some) better and better. Luxury and prestige, are so played out, that I can't find a company that doesn't claim to be luxurious or prestigous. Cadillacs are supposed to be on the top, their interior material quality is below sub-par (yeah, double double bad) so I think, whatever associations come with whatever name are worthless.

You don't like driving a Lexus, fantastic, and I applaud you for taking your time to express your opinion.
You don't like driving a Mercedes, fantastic, and I applaud you for taking your time to express your opinion.
None of us here are going to change either ones mind about car X or car Y. So as enthusiasts, let us applaud the companies for putting up so much competition against each other. In the end, the consumer wins
Old 11-13-2005, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well said ricky!

I think if you take into account that there are probably some 500,000 E' (W210,211) wordwide in use... some as taxi's with heavy duties.. the reliability rate would be more impressive than a message board filled with anecdotes would lead you to believe.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Focus ST
damnit! another ls430 on the market. my pops is trying to sell his 04' (autotrader/ craigslist, etc) now to go back german