E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Need help adding another power outlet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help adding another power outlet

1996 E320
I would like to add a power outlet to plug my radar detector into. It would be easy to tap into the existing cigarette lighter if I could pop the unit out for access and then place the outlet in the glove box for the radar detector to plug into. That cleans up the area and allows me to close the ashtray.

Does anyone know how I can do this? Second choice would be to remove the glove compartment and tap into another wire that is key activated, but which one of the wires are key activated?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:13 PM

Found an option??

Any reason that I cannot tap into the glove box light as it is key activated like the lighter, that anyone knows of?
Old 01-28-2006, 12:02 PM

'97 E320
Sounds like you have a plan but just can’t figure out how to remove the interior pieces…

this might help…

E-Class Disassembly

click on the interior section picture for instructions…

i think the center-console area and ash tray stuff just snap right out… and the glove box has 8 screws… four on the top of the glove box facing you… two on the bottom inside facing down (under the little rubber plugs) and two on top inside next to the light fixture. might be hard to see them. don't remove the ones holding the light.

once the 8 screws are removed, you simply pull out on the glove box door assembly to remove it. it will take a HARD JERK to remove it. there are slots on the top edge of the glovebox and tabs on the dash holding it all together. some people have success prying gently around the tabs but you stand the chance of damaging the dash if you try to pry too hard.

when glovebox comes loose, you can then disconnect the wire from the glovebox light.

hope it helps…

~ Mr. B ~
Old 01-28-2006, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Hardwire your radar detector to the glove box light. That's what i did. It's constant and live. the switch doesnt turn it off like the light.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:04 AM

Thanks all

That is what I needed. I will probably wire it to the glove box light as it appears that it is key activated. My glovebox light is activated by the key, are some not?
Old 01-29-2006, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
it is key activated.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:15 AM

Thumbs up Key activated = Thanks

I appreciate the help from everyone.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:51 AM

Follow-up

Great dissasembly clips, thanks. All went well, found the hot with a tester, tapped into the glovebox light wires with a couple of quick connects and bullet connectors attached to a Wally World (WalMart) power outlet for a light to plug into a truck trailer plug. Kinda nice because I now have the plug so that I can make another connect for the Battery Tender that I have.

Anyhow, buttoned it all up and the Radar Detector works without the plug cluttering up the cigar lighter area. Took an extra few minutes and cleaned the wood with Pledge and all is well. Thanks again...
Old 01-31-2006, 01:46 AM

'97 E320
You’re welcome..!!

some “what and how” pictures would have been nice to help us all appreciate what you’ve done (we just love pictures)… we’ll just have to visualize in our heads…

oh well… i’m sure it’s given a few people motivation for a mod..!!

~ Mr. B ~