E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2002 E class speaker question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 Black
2002 E class speaker question

Hi Everybody,

A few weeks ago I took my 2002 E55, still under warranty, in for a shrill fan noise. The dealer fixed that. After I picked up the car, I gradually became aware that the audio system didn't sound as good. My wife even commented it sounded flat. I investigated with my ears and discovered that none of the four speakers mounted high in front make any sound at all.

I took the car back to the dealer, and was told that these speakers are only for the navigation, and not for audio. I just don't buy it! Am I crazy, or are the door mounted tweeters for audio or not?

Note there are six speakers up front. Two are down in the footwell on either side, those work fine. There are two more in the doors, mounted right where the side view mirrors are attached. There are two more in the dash, at the far left and right edges. I believe the door mounted tweeters are for audio and the dash mounted speakers are for the nav.

Please anyone with any 2002 E series stick your ear on the speaker and tell me which speakers are for audio.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Last edited by KenE55; 01-28-2006 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Hit return too early
Old 01-29-2006, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
The ones in the "mirror" are tweeters, for sound, highs specifically. Your dealer is bull****ting you.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:03 PM

2006 E55 Black
Thanks

I thought as much... I'm going back!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:15 PM
liz

if you have a bose system, there are no speakers mounted by the mirror (referred to as the sail area)or the dash. The speaker looking,sail shaped mesh is used for the stock system, not for bose. bose puts the tweeter in the door speaker, i believe they refer to this as a 2 way (or three way- I forget). in any event, the sound is pretty lame- especially compared to the older systems. your only recourse is to change out the system as I am told, bose doesn't interface to well with other speakers. Apparently it is near impossible to find the ohms or whatever is needed to match it up with standard speakers (eg:bose can utilize 3 ohms standard speakers are 4). Such a situation could blow the head unit-according to the sa's. furthermore, it was stated that the fiber optics could and do get fried, from such a mismatch(sa). this website is great for such info. look up your question in the search area, it will provide wonderful insite. lol.