E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Moonroof won't retract

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Kompressor Sport
Moonroof won't retract

Tried to retract the moonroof the other day and it makes a horrible sound yet the motor still seems to work. Is there a cable that could be twisted or something? Please help with advice or link me to a post that has perhaps addressed this in the past. My moon roof still "pops up" in the back, but then to get it back down you have to play with the swtich.

I have a feeling this is not uncommon as it seems like EVERY problem I have w/ my E430 is shared by many others.

I'm really baffled by the lack of quality in this car. MB needs to restore the concept of longevity in their vehicles. I'm beginning to have a love-hate relationship with this car.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cables

You are correct in your statement that this is a common problem.

The cables have come off the guide rails because the plastic clips have broken. There are some improved clips from MB for this problem.

You will have to drop the headlining to access the guide rails, about a two hour job, easy DIY.

Wear some cotton gloves so you don't dirty the headlining.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:18 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport
Might anyone have more info on how to remove the headliner etc. I'll also need to buy some new clips and need part numbers etc. Is there a current posting on detailed instructions on this somewhere else? Any help is appreciated!

The weather is warming up and it really sucks not to be able to open the roof!
Old 04-10-2006, 09:35 AM

2008 Aspen, 1970 Corvette, 2000 Corvette and 2009 Legacy Limited
I had a similar problem with my wife's 02 ML320. The sun roof actually opened but I couldn't close it all the way. Two clips broke and made the metal guide get out of whack. I took it to the dealership for one day to fix. I don't believe they removed the headliner though. I think they fixed the track on the sunroof... Not sure if you are having same issue? Just wanted to put this out there...
Old 09-29-2006, 11:29 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport
I wanted to revive this thread. I still have yet to fix my sunroof; "locket" seemed to think this was an easy DIY job yet I don't have any clear directions or part numbers on this. Does anyone have further info? My tech said this job wasn't as easy as it sounded so I'm looking for more info. I may just have my tech do it and let him charge me whatever...
Old 10-12-2006, 05:02 AM

sunroof

Update

You will need to unscrew the sunroof glass from inside the car and remove it, there are 4 screws two on each side.

Standing inside the car, look at the edge where the runners are and you will see a plastic jointing clip that covers the middle portion of the runner. It probably has come off and jambs the slider from going back. Push it back into position,it is a snap fit. They do not fit very well which is why it has come off in the first place.Get a small drill and drill a pilot hole through the plastic cover and into the edge of the roof panel and insert a self tapping screw,and this will be perfect and never come out again. Do the same for the other side.

Replace the glass and make sure that it is flush with the roof, job done.
Total time 1 hour.

I had my sunroof fixed last week at a Main dealer and this is how they now fix this problem, I stood and watched the whole operation.

Hope this helps you.

Locket
Old 10-12-2006, 11:11 AM

2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
Locket ,they DID NOT have to remove the head liner?? Please advise....