E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Best place to buy control arms?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
Best place to buy control arms?

I need upper and lower control arms with bushings as well. I have found a place on Ebay and the prices seem too good to be true Has anyone used this place or know of any other MB dicount parts place.
thank you
Old 02-07-2006, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by E55Cent
I need upper and lower control arms with bushings as well. I have found a place on Ebay and the prices seem too good to be true Has anyone used this place or know of any other MB dicount parts place.
thank you
I also need a set. I contacted seller, and he told me that they're not OEM (though they're made in Europe). So I didn't go with them.

I think going w/ Phil (Fastlane) is the best. I got my entire transmission service kit (Bnz oil & filter include) & trans oil stick for $130 !!

Just the oil stick cost $115 out of the door at dealer.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by zam2000
I also need a set. I contacted seller, and he told me that they're not OEM (though they're made in Europe). So I didn't go with them.

I think going w/ Phil (Fastlane) is the best. I got my entire transmission service kit (Bnz oil & filter include) & trans oil stick for $130 !!

Just the oil stick cost $115 out of the door at dealer.
Thank you Zam, do you have the number or website?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
http://www.mercedesshop.com/
1-888-333-4642
philip@mercedesshop.com
Old 02-07-2006, 05:40 PM

I called Phil and I was quoted about $750 with shipping.
2x upper control arms
2x lower control arms
2x tie rods

The price is good but I wonder how they compare to the guy on Ebay. Hit kit would cost me about $300 or less.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'00 E430, '83 Porsche 928S
I used the lower control arm bushings and ball joints from the guy on ebay and I found them to be very good quality. There are not very many discount parts places carrying OEM parts (they are all primarily aftermarket). In many cases, aftermarket parts come down the same assembly line and are packaged differently. I used to work for an automotive supplier that made airconditioning condensers for BMW, Honda, Nissan, etc. We used the same materials and tooling to produce product to sell through our aftermaket division.

As far as the control arm bushings, OEM were not very good quality to only last 60K to begin with. I have seen some polyurethane bushings for sale, but I have not heard how they perform. The OE perform well, but certainly do not last.

I am ordering mine from the guy on Ebay.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ala-benz
I used the lower control arm bushings and ball joints from the guy on ebay and I found them to be very good quality. There are not very many discount parts places carrying OEM parts (they are all primarily aftermarket). In many cases, aftermarket parts come down the same assembly line and are packaged differently. I used to work for an automotive supplier that made airconditioning condensers for BMW, Honda, Nissan, etc. We used the same materials and tooling to produce product to sell through our aftermaket division.

As far as the control arm bushings, OEM were not very good quality to only last 60K to begin with. I have seen some polyurethane bushings for sale, but I have not heard how they perform. The OE perform well, but certainly do not last.

I am ordering mine from the guy on Ebay.
Good info. So you have already installed the lower control arms and now you are going to buy the uppers? When you odered the lower control arms did it come with everything you needed, like the bushings and pivots? Was it complete? Also did you notice an improvment once you replaced your old ones? Do you have a phone number for the guy because I have tried Email but he has not returned it and it has been over a month. His products look good and his rating is very high with tons of orders.
Thank you
Mario
Old 02-08-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'00 E430, '83 Porsche 928S
I replaced the lower bushings on my 97 E420 I used to have. I totalled that car and now I have a 2000 E430 (same style control arms). I had steering vibration in my previous car that was reduced when I changed out the lower control arm bushings and ball joints. I purchased my parts through the guy on ebay and they all worked out well.

On my last recall service visit, the dealer said my current car needed the lower bushings and new motor mounts. I replaced my mounts (pretty easy job) and I am procrastinating on the lower control arms because the bushings are a real PITA to change. The kit came with everything needed in parts, but you need a special tool or access to a bearing press to install the new bushings. You also need spring compressors to be able to remove the whole lower control arm.

I don't have a number for guy online. I think the only communication I had was when I sent payment and when the product shipped.

Good Luck
Larry

Just to be clear: I pulled my old lower control arms, removed the old bushings and used the parts from Ebay to replace the bushings only. You reuse the lower control arm.

Last edited by Ala-benz; 02-08-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:21 PM

C36 AMG
you do not need spring compresion!! Springs are easy to remove, by removing the lower shock bolt, sway bar end link bolt and detaching lower ball joint and lower the control arm to it's max without putting pressure on hoses or sensor lines. Then with a crow bar or large screw driver preyed the spring out. NO SPRING COMPRESSORS.