E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Some kind of oil leak from under the car.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
Some kind of oil leak from under the car.

I noticed a little puddle of oil spot when I pulled out the driveway. I thought it was a motor oil leak. But this one is clear oil. I can't figure out where it was coming from. I suspected from the powersteering pump. That I think a possiblity of hose might be cracked or leaking. What do you think guys?
Old 02-15-2006, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
It's likely the power steering oil, happened to mine too. Dealer offer to change the entire rack & pinion for $1800-2000 (part + labor).

Here's the good news: you can fix most of the problem. Go to Pepboys, buy a little pump and pull out oil from the power steering oil resevor (almost empty them), then put in a can of Steer-X (from PepBoys too), Make sure you do not overfill it. It will recondition your pinion seal & you will be fine.

I was in doubt when people show me this on the other forum (mercedeshop), but it's been years since I did this, and thing have been fine. I later found out that the gentlemen who gave me the tip was a Master ASE, specialize in Benz (those who surf that forum often will probably know who he is).

Another tip I learned from him: Trans-X fix most of the slip & retard problem in the 772.6 transmission (98-later). Most shop or dealer would simply ask you to replace the trans ($3-4K).

Do not use any other type of stop leak on your car. Also, Trans-X only work if the retard/slip in the trans is due to iregular oil flow in the trans (clog), and even trans service can't fix these problem (amazingly, Trans-X can). Similarly, Steer-X only work if leak is due to seal hardern. If you trans or steering really go kaput, broke, crack, or mechanically ruined, then the only solution is to fix/replace them.

Nevertheless, to each his own, I'm just sharing w/ you my experience.

Originally Posted by BenzVince
I noticed a little puddle of oil spot when I pulled out the driveway. I thought it was a motor oil leak. But this one is clear oil. I can't figure out where it was coming from. I suspected from the powersteering pump. That I think a possiblity of hose might be cracked or leaking. What do you think guys?

Last edited by zam2000; 02-15-2006 at 12:57 AM.