E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Tele Aid Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320
Tele Aid Questions

My 2001 E320 came with Tele Aid; the standard subscription was good for one year. As I don't drive the vehicle much, I have never renewed the subscription to the service.

What elements of Tele Aid still work with no current subscription, if any? Does the 'SOS' call for emergency help still work if I push the button or if I was in an accident? What about the 'Roadside Assistance' button or the 'Remote Door Unlock' service?

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-20-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Aspen, 1970 Corvette, 2000 Corvette and 2009 Legacy Limited
This is Mercedes official lingo on the tele aid service...

The optional Tele Aid system provides help when it's needed most. Tele Aid is available 24 hours a day and no phone is required. GPS satellites pinpoint the current location of the car and a cellular link provides contact with the Mercedes-Benz Customer Service Centre.

Three buttons in the car assist in communication: the SOS button for emergency aid, the "i" button for information, and the wrench button for Roadside Assistance. In addition, the system will automatically call for help should any air bag or Emergency Tensioning Retractor deploy.

I believe the road side assistance stays with the car for life... "It gets towed a reasonable distance to the nearest MB service center..."

I still opt for the cheapest tele aid service b/c I think it is a good feature to have for my wife and 8 month old son... I think it is $270 annually per car...
Old 02-20-2006, 03:13 PM

2001 E-430 4-Matic
No Tickee, No Washee

Richard,

I'm in the same situation you are - I didn't renew the Tele Aid subscription after the first year. As I was also curious as to whether it would be available for emergencies, I tried it by pressing the red SOS button today. The phone dialed, and was answered by a recording that announced that the call received was not from an authorized account. It gave a number to dial to activate the service and then hung up. So the bottom line is that the SOS button is not available for emergencies if the subscription elapsed.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:11 AM

2001 E320
Originally Posted by livetodrive
...bottom line is that the SOS button is not available for emergencies if the subscription elapsed.
livetodrive;

Thanks very much for the reply. My 9-year old has wanted to push that button in the worst way to see what would happen. I was afraid that emergency services would show up at my door so I wouldn't let him do it.

It's kind of deceiving that even with an expired subscription the 'SOS' button still lights up with the engine running; makes you think that at least that feature of Tele Aid still works.

Thanks again for the information!