E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

DIY illuminated door sills

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
year 2000 model E-320 210 chassis
Question DIY illuminated door sills

Would like detailed intructions on installing illuminated door sills for 2000 mercedes e-320 210 chassis; I purchesed the sill from jerry at formymercedes.com.
I have read some of the post on this site; but instructions weren't clear, as far as what color wires to tap into on the door sill. and if you run the the red positive straight to the battery? maybe I'm a little slow and need more detailed instructions, but I don't want to mess the job up. If anyone has more detailed instructions you can e-mail me if instructions don't fit in the thread at Keithb17@hotmail.com Subject:Mercedes so I don't delete it by mistake!

Last edited by KADE; 03-04-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by KADE
Would like detailed intructions on installing illuminated door sills for 2000 mercedes e-320 210 chassis; I purchesed the sill from jerry at formymercedes.com.
I have read some of the post on this site; but instructions weren't clear, as far as what color wires to tap into on the door sill. and if you run the the red positive straight to the battery? maybe I'm a little slow and need more detailed instructions, but I don't want to mess the job up. If anyone has more detailed instructions you can e-mail me if instructions don't fit in the thread at Keithb17@hotmail.com Subject:Mercedes so I don't delete it by mistake!
Here's how I did it back then. I attach along two pix of what you would see once you lift the rear bench. The red one go straigh to battery, they already have built-in 10A fuse (the one I bought from Jerry has it). Those brown wires are the one you will need to connect the sill wire to.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/74133-my-illuminated-door-sills.html

Old 03-04-2006, 01:43 AM

Question

Originally Posted by zam2000
Here's how I did it back then. I attach along two pix of what you would see once you lift the rear bench. The red one go straigh to battery, they already have built-in 10A fuse (the one I bought from Jerry has it). Those brown wires are the one you will need to connect the sill wire to.

]
I bought mine from Jerry also. My question Zam is

1) Did you tap/run your neg. wires from the sills to the brown wires under each oem panel in the front and back? Or did you run them straight to the back where all the brown wires are in photos under the rear seat?

2) Do I connect the red front to the red back and then run them to the battery? or do I run the red line seperate for each door to the battery,and does that make a difference?

3) If I am reading correctly I don't need to add a fuse to the positive red cable that will connect to battery?

Thanks in advance Zam

Last edited by KADE; 03-04-2006 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E-430 4-Matic
I followed Zam's instructions and mine work fine. Until Zam replies:
- I ran all the wires to under the back seat.
- I bought a little junction box at Radio Shack and ran all my red wires to it.
- Anytime a new wire is connected to the battery it must be fused, as close to the battery as possible. I bought my fuse at Radio Shack.

Please search my posts. I posted the pictures.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by KADE
I bought mine from Jerry also. My question Zam is

1) Did you tap/run your neg. wires from the sills to the brown wires under each oem panel in the front and back? Or did you run them straight to the back where all the brown wires are in photos under the rear seat?

2) Do I connect the red front to the red back and then run them to the battery? or do I run the red line seperate for each door to the battery,and does that make a difference?

3) If I am reading correctly I don't need to add a fuse to the positive red cable that will connect to battery?

1. I tap the neg wires from each sill to the brown wire on the back. Less work & easier that way. The wire are very long. Notice that there are couple in-line resistors built into the wire (covered w/ shrink wrap), so do not cut any of those wire.

2. I don't remmember, but I think left and right size each have a positive wire (to be shared by front/rear). It doesn't matter, as long as there's a fuse between them and the battery. Make no difference whatsoever on how you connec them.

3. If there's NO fuse, you must add one. 10A at most.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:58 PM

Thanks Zam2000 and Livetodrive you guys have been a great help! I will have to get a fuse holder/connecter and then I'll be ready for business I will let you know how things turned out, Just have to wait for the weather to break....its freezing here in NYC. and I don't have a indoor gaurage

Thanks again.