E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Part it out or sell AS-IS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part it out or sell AS-IS?

I 've purchased a 1999 E320 from an insurance auction, with the intention to export it overseas. The car only came with a Bill of Sale, and as the process of acquiring a title would take endless of time, and as I have 2 other cars that are all ready to be exported, I decided to either part out the car or sell it AS-IS. My cost is exactly $7000 (car price including shipping from Washington state to Houston, Texas).

I have few pictures that can be viewed at http://hammoudy.com/Export%20Cars/19...0Gold%20-%202/

What do you guys think?

Appreciate the feedback
Old 03-15-2006, 09:59 AM

2008 Aspen, 1970 Corvette, 2000 Corvette and 2009 Legacy Limited
Probably get more money parting it out. Interior, engine, trans and rear will get you some good money... Unfortunately, the body is not going to get you much... Maybe front fenders and such will bring some decent cash....

Conversely, the damge doesn't look too bad... althought that right rear looks like the worst part.... broke suspension I assume?

Parting it out will require time to disassemble and sell.... but that sounds like fun to me... the disassembly anyway...
Old 03-15-2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Gearhead
Probably get more money parting it out. Interior, engine, trans and rear will get you some good money... Unfortunately, the body is not going to get you much... Maybe front fenders and such will bring some decent cash....

Conversely, the damge doesn't look too bad... althought that right rear looks like the worst part.... broke suspension I assume?

Parting it out will require time to disassemble and sell.... but that sounds like fun to me... the disassembly anyway...
Do you think I could get anywhere close to $10K If I fix it? Do you know of any decent plate where I can get the rear quarter fenders and bumper (cover and absorber) ?

I am going to pick it up from the shipping co as it was being prepared to be exported, and I will inspect closely and see what parts will have to be replaced.

From what I could tell, all airbags are intact as well as the engine/tranny, the interior and the front end (except for the front bumper) and the doors.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:26 PM

2001 E320 Sport
Actually from the 5th picture in the link you provided, it appears that the head curtain airbag deployed (most likely then the door airbag deployed as well). Other than that though, if you have the time and like disassembling cars, I agree with Mr. Gearhead that parting out the car will bring you more money over the long run. As they say the car is worth more in pieces than whole.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:41 PM

2008 Aspen, 1970 Corvette, 2000 Corvette and 2009 Legacy Limited
You have one problem preventing a good sale on this car... a salvage title. Not too many folks buy a used Benz with a salvage title. Now if it was... a 1970 Nova or something like that... people always make exceptions... (don't know why... newer salvaged cars scare most...)

If you fix it up... you will have more in it... that it will most likely be worth. That back quarter is gone. It will need a full replacement. I have seen E320 engines sell from $1500- $6500 rebuilt. Trans is worth atleast $1K. Interior is subjective... depends if the buyer REALLY needs it.

Most of the time a salvaged car is purchased for a few rare parts or a cheap fixer to drive. One man's trash is ......