E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

DIY soundsystem setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C36AMG
Cool DIY soundsystem setup

ok gents, here's the deal, i'v been observing and experimenting with my 97 e 420, it has the standard, 8 speaker bose, system in it, i've been lookin at the older models of the s class's soundsystem's and they are amazing (92-99) it's juss stunning, my dad had a 95 S420 and the system in there sounded like an after market, so this inspired me to try and upgrade mine myself, instead of spending $1,000+ at the dealership, i got an Amp from an S class, i replaced my old one with the new one, which i'm sure has a higher wattage capacity, now i'm trying to figure out how to get off those panels where, they are opposite of the side mirrors, i'm sure that's what those are for, both front doors are already wired for extra speakers, (tweeters) on the top, i'm going to take the tweeters off the bottom speakers in the panel of the doors and move them up there, and juss get bigger speakers to fit the bottom, i've also added two more subwoofers in the back where there was previously two more subs, now i have a total of four, which is the 10 speaker system like waht the older models had. i've tried jammin the sound system now, and it sound really good soo far, lots more bass, but, the front door speakers are waaaay to light, they are gonna blow out, i'm in the process of finding some better speakers for down there.

now for questions, does anyone kno how to get the little grill off that panel where the side mirrors are? if so how? and, what type of speakers shoud i get for the bottom panels on the lower part of the door? i was thinking of gettting those off an older s class also, they hit pretty hard from wut iv seen.

let me kno what ya'll think, and if u have any better ideas let me know!!
thanks guys

Lenny
Old 04-25-2006, 01:32 AM

97 E420 90 300E
Go aftermarket, probably cheaper and will be head and shoulders better than any stock system. If you want to properly use both the speaker locations your referring too, youll need component speakers which has a woofer, tweeter, and a passive crossover to seperate the frequencies. If I remember right you need to take off the door panel to access the little grill your talking about.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE350 4MATIC, 2009 ML350 4matic, 2005 4maticWAGON (sold), A Pre-facelift W210(sold)
Like Craig said, going "component" will be the best solution/combination for the front set up. Bass in the lower and the mid/high goes to the tweeter, most importantly, component speakers comes with a crossover to split the signals....I'm not sure if MB has component speakers, but there are lots of good aftermarket manufacturers. Good Luck and keep US updated about the results..

I do have a question for you though, the 2nd sub that U added to the back, are these MB subs??? where in the back are they...rear deck Or the rear doors?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 CLK430
MB Quartz. IMO, the best aftermarket speakers. I have all Alpine in my truck but have MBQ components in the doors and they keep up w/ the everything else fine.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:10 AM

1997 C36AMG
thanks

first of all thanks all of you for replying, i was starting to get worried, well first thing, yes i was havin 2nd thoughts about after market, and the two extra subs i added are located in the back rear deck, and the two other subs i added are a bit heavier becuz they are from an s class, now i have a totall of 4 back there like how the s classes are set up, it sounds good, it hits harder, but yea, i think i should go with aftermarket, it sounds like less hassle and such, but i'm thinking about how i'm gonna have to take out the stock reciver and stuff it's gonna juss kinda ruin the car, i like to keep my suff like original, but still nice, or maybe should go after market, and juss take out those four 6 inch subs in the back, and and juss costomize the back to fit two 10"s covered down..

let me know wut u guys are thinkin i need some help thanks guys
Old 05-10-2006, 06:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 E430 4matic
I've done a complete system in my car from components to subs in the trunk utilizing the stock head unit and it sounds awesome, IM me if you want some help.