E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Hello

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320 4Matic Wagon
Hello

Hi, I am new to this forum and thought I would introduce myself. I am the proud new owner of a 2003 E320 4Matic Wagon (I assume that this is the correct forum since the wagons did not move to the new platform until 2004). I had been driving a Subaru Legacy GT2.5 wagon but the engine blew up.

I was already looking at the E320 wagon because it had the four things we wanted:

1) all wheel/four wheel drive
We need the AWD because we live on a dirt road and have a 400' driveway that goes uphill. I need to be able to get to my garage in New England winters.

2) third row seat
We wanted the third row seat because we have two kids, so when, say, the grandparents are visiting we wanted to be able to all go out in one car.

3) high safety ratings
Again, we have two kids.

4) decent fuel economy
Gas is expensive.

We looked at the Volvo V70 wagon but you can only get AWD with the big engine and then your fuel economy goes to you know where. Minivans and SUV's also do poorly in the fuel economy area, not to mention that my wife forbade me to buy either one. Also, they are really not as safe as everyone seems to think. That pretty much leaves only the E class wagon.

We got a smokin' deal on the car. It has slightly high mileage (62k) but we got it for less than Kelly Blue Book trade in value. Our mechanic looked it over and found that one of the tie-rods was a little loose. Nothing to worry about, but we should keep an eye on it. Other than that, everything was fine. It is pretty clean and it drives well. Now the only question is, "Who gets to drive it every day?"
Old 04-28-2006, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Welcome to the club,
wow 400' driveway I hope you dont have to shovel it when its covered with snow.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's not too late, make sure you buy an extended warranty on your new (used) car. It'll pay for itself over time on these cars. These forums will also save you a ton of money in fixing the inevitable things that will go wrong.

Lastly, if you work in the city, I would highly recommend Carmine, the owner of European Car Doctors. He was just named Best of Boston auto mechanic. His shop is in Fenway, around back and below the Beer Works.