E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E430 crank position sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E430 crank position sensor

My e 430 shut down while driving today.. I pulled off the side of the road, and two minutes later it restarted.. The check engine light stayed lit, and I had it read.. The computer said it was the crank postition sensor.. I ordered the part.. Has anyone out there changed one.. It would save me time if I knew where it was, and what i need to change it.. Is It an easy job? Also once I get it changed how do I get my check engine light off..
Thanks for any help..

Erik
2000 E430 4matic
Old 05-20-2006, 01:17 PM
elo

I copied this from someone's thread, and here is it:

"The sensor is about 2" long and is inserted behind the cylinder block on the drivers side to read off the flywheel. Only about 1/2" sticks out. Basically you remove the enlectrical connector and get the right torx socket and unbolt. Access to the bolt is a little difficult as it is only just in line of sight.
Hope this helps.

Its buried at the back of the engine. Its located on top, where it reads the flywheel position. Might be best to have someone change it for you, its tricky sometimes, and usually quite hot. Just one of those things.... Sometimes they come right out, other times they fight you all the way. I believe its an E8 torx bit, a long 1/4" extension and universal, and ratchet. Pull off engine cover, climb on top of motor, reach down on the drivers side at the back of the motor. Unplug, replace." (copied from another post for a V6 but I <think> it's located the same place in the V8, don't know for sure)

The crankshaft sensor can be tested with an ohm meter, the problem is it usually only fails when its hot. It will test fine until it fails, then it will read open circuit. Trying to heat one with a torch is pretty futile also, its best to pull it out right when the engine dies, and the opportunity is rare. It might have cooled down enough by the time you have removed it and will test ok. "
Old 05-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Almost a Member!

get a quarter inch ratchet, a long (12 inch) 1/4 inch extenstion maybe longer
and an e10 torx socket, make sure the car is cold,
1. take engine cover off
2. reach down on the left side and feel around infront of the bell housing on trans, its right there you cant miss it, if you look from there the brake booster is and look down behind the engine witha flash light you should be able to see it
un plug the sensor
3. take the torx and 1/4 inch ratchet and extension and brake it loose if you dont have small hands to where you can reach the torx bolt put some greas on the socket so it holds it in
4. remove the bolt
5. reach down grab it firmly and twist left and right to kind of brake it loose then pull it straight out
6. put the new one in, line up the bolt hole
7. put grease on the torx socket again and put the bolt in the socket
START THIS BOLT CAREFULLY by holding JUST the extension and socket no ratchet, start it by hand then after it is hand tight give it a 1/4 maybe a tad more turn, if you strip out that hole your ****ed
8. plug it back in
9 put your engine cover back on
10. usually u need to renormalize the ring gear and throttle stop
dunno if that resetting ecu thing does that
hope that helps
Old 05-20-2006, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
...with some pics here
Old 05-24-2006, 05:57 PM

if i'm not mistaken is in the back of the engine by the transmission housing,it gets the signal from the flywheel, i just changed my in my e320, i know yous is a v8 but it should be around the back by the firewall on the driver's side
Old 05-25-2006, 06:24 PM

Thumbs up

I was able to change my senor today.... The directions everyone sent helped a lot.. Tomorrow at 5:00 I set out for a 700 mile trip to myrtle beach south carolina.. Wish me luck....

Thanks for all the help again..
Old 07-27-2006, 05:50 PM

2005 E500 4Matic
Can someone please validate that this part circled in red is indeed the crankshaft position sensor? I brought this to my local mechanic and he couldn't find the thing and said that what I pointed to wasn't it (even though the boards indicate it is).

E430 crank position sensor-cps.jpg

close up of part
E430 crank position sensor-unsure_if_crankshaft2-small.jpg

If this isn't the part, could someone please recommend a good mechanic in Queens, NY?

Last edited by 99clk320; 07-27-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:55 AM
SDR

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
'99 C43, '12 C63, '13 E350, '14 Sprinter
If I recall correctly it's actually mounted on the transmission bell housing right up close to the engine. There is one wire connecting to it and one e-torx screw holding it in. It looks like you've identified the correct part.