E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

day running lights (Canada)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 E300 D
day running lights (Canada)

I got a recall from mb Canada for my 97 e300d over a year ago to change the light switch to a new one that runs the day running lights only as the switch I have now makes all lights runs as long as the car is running so I do not have to turn on or off the headlights at night at the present time.

i don't think i want to do this recall and i love it if i can get some feedbacks from my fellow canadian's if someone done the recall
Old 06-04-2006, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by wallye320
I got a recall from mb Canada for my 97 e300d over a year ago to change the light switch to a new one that runs the day running lights only as the switch I have now makes all lights runs as long as the car is running so I do not have to turn on or off the headlights at night at the present time.

i don't think i want to do this recall and i love it if i can get some feedbacks from my fellow canadian's if someone done the recall
...........I have daytine running lights in my car, but it only involves the head light and the city light, not the dash lights. So at night, I still have to manually turn my head lights on or off to get the dash lights to come on or go off. Are you saying that what you have also turns on the dash lights? If so, why would you want to change it? More importantly, how can I go about getting what you have? I have an 2000 W210

Ted
Old 06-04-2006, 06:12 PM

97 E300 D
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
...........I have daytine running lights in my car, but it only involves the head light and the city light, not the dash lights. So at night, I still have to manually turn my head lights on or off to get the dash lights to come on or go off. Are you saying that what you have also turns on the dash lights? If so, why would you want to change it? More importantly, how can I go about getting what you have? I have an 2000 W210

Ted
from what you telling me you must of got the car used
and the previos owner did the recall
unfortenatlly you can not go back to the one I got
unless your mb dealer that service your car is willing to do it and then you have to pay for it and that if they still got the part from another car same year

the dashboard light dose not comes one with the headlights bcs it control with darkness sencer located on the middle of the dash
Old 06-04-2006, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
from what you telling me you must of got the car used
and the previos owner did the recall
unfortenatlly you can not go back to the one I got
unless your mb dealer that service your car is willing to do it and then you have to pay for it and that if they still got the part from another car same year

the dashboard light dose not comes one with the headlights bcs it control with darkness sencer located on the middle of the dash
................I live in USA and I wanted the daytime running lights so I purchased the headlight switch from canada and swapped it. It is funny how much you learn. I am looking for a way to have my dash lights come on and off automatically. I did not know about the darkness sensor and will investigate it. I don't know if adding the canadian hjeadlight switch dissabled this feature in my car. From what you are telling me, the dash light datkness sensor is independent of the headlight switch.

Ted
Old 06-04-2006, 10:13 PM

97 E300 D
................I live in USA and I wanted the daytime running lights so I purchased the headlight switch from canada and swapped it. It is funny how much you learn. I am looking for a way to have my dash lights come on and off automatically. I did not know about the darkness sensor and will investigate it. I don't know if adding the canadian hjeadlight switch dissabled this feature in my car. From what you are telling me, the dash light datkness sensor is independent of the headlight switch.

Ted
I see

the old switch control the 2 front low beam 2 front Parking lights and tail lights lift & right

the new switch control the front 2 low beam only

the day runing light implanted in canada since 1990 so now we get ticketed if it dose not work . personally I LOVE IT specially with too many idiot drivers on the road who dose not care in cloudy fogy days
Old 06-05-2006, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Focus ST

Ted
its funny because i have DRL's and i HATE them with a passion....all my lights come on automaticaly except front and year fogs. the whole dash and console light up as well.....

but the main headlights go off only if its in park on neutral
Old 06-05-2006, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by my E430 rocket
its funny because i have DRL's and i HATE them with a passion....all my lights come on automaticaly except front and year fogs. the whole dash and console light up as well.....

............interesting indeed. I want what you have. What year is your car and can you sell me your headlight switch and use the money to buy a non-daytime running light switch from the dealer?

Ted
Old 06-06-2006, 01:22 AM

97 E300 D

that is my DRL and same turn off on park and neutral

you must have canadian switch old canadian switch
Old 06-06-2006, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Focus ST
that is my DRL and same turn off on park and neutral

you must have canadian switch old canadian switch
my car was a canadian delivery, but i purchased it new at a dealer in south florida where it remains today.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Focus ST
............interesting indeed. I want what you have. What year is your car and can you sell me your headlight switch and use the money to buy a non-daytime running light switch from the dealer?

Ted
my car is a 99'

hit me up with a PM

i have no idea how much the switch costs, from what i understand its a whole switch assembly? not sure what that includes but.

so just switching out this switch physically turns off the DRL's, you dnt have to go into star diagnostic or anything?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:48 AM

1997 E320
I've had the day time running lights recall done on my 1997 E320. It is an improvement. Only the low beam lights come on instead of all the lights. This saves on lightbulbs and the recall is free.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 E55 AMG
My DRL's consist only of the front, main headlights. Nothing else.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:15 PM

97 E300 D
Originally Posted by Chris_H
I've had the day time running lights recall done on my 1997 E320. It is an improvement. Only the low beam lights come on instead of all the lights. This saves on lightbulbs and the recall is free.
sounds fine but now you have to turn the lights on & off manually which I do not like

in 1970 chev you do not have to turn the light manually so it dose not sounds good for a benz
Old 06-07-2006, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
my car is a 99'

hit me up with a PM

i have no idea how much the switch costs, from what i understand its a whole switch assembly? not sure what that includes but.

so just switching out this switch physically turns off the DRL's, you dnt have to go into star diagnostic or anything?
.............pm sent.

Ted
Old 06-07-2006, 10:51 PM

97 E300 D
today I had some work done at the mb dealership and I asked the manager about the DRL she said ((((( Do Not Do IT ))))) we thought it will save light pulps but in fact it did not