E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Are you up to the new Ambient Light mod? I can provide calculation. :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Are you up to the new Ambient Light mod? I can provide calculation. :)

One of raymond g-'s reply give me an idea about Ambient light. (you know the ambient light that use in the new S-class? )

Anyway, I don't have any clue what's EL wire's forward current, but if you can get those 3mm EL wire (hopefully, the amber color) attach under each wood strip...you might have the same effect as the new S-class?

I can provide calculation on what resistor need to buy to convert 12V to whatever it require. (so it can power by your car's battery)

Any taker?
Attached Thumbnails Are you up to the new Ambient Light mod?  I can provide calculation. :)-c458843a.jpg   Are you up to the new Ambient Light mod?  I can provide calculation. :)-2050912.009.mini10l.jpg  

Last edited by no_clue; 07-23-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Not trying to be discouraging but I don't think its not going to look good if you can't hide the tubes under the wood...just my $0.02
Old 07-23-2006, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
was just in the garage sitting in the car trying to figure out if...how...and that's
what i thought as well. not convinced it'll work for the E320. the lines painted
are crucial to this working out. the more segments and changes in angles in
the wood/seam, the more it interrupts the scan. the S class pic is very nice
but different in my E320.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Whitey
Not trying to be discouraging but I don't think its not going to look good if you can't hide the tubes under the wood...just my $0.02
VERY TRUE.
But there is also EL-tape....which can be cut and trim to any specific size and length.

If using EL wire...(out of my late night imagination), there are Chrome body strip, remove the rubber center, replace w/ EL-wire, then it will give better finish looking?

Or using Chrome Door guard, that provide stream line (one way light out)
Attached Thumbnails Are you up to the new Ambient Light mod?  I can provide calculation. :)-rover-75-cdt-chrome-strip.jpg   Are you up to the new Ambient Light mod?  I can provide calculation. :)-door.jpg  

Last edited by no_clue; 07-23-2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Arrow no_clue

Originally Posted by no_clue
Any taker?
This is very generous of you to offer some help with the electrical aspects of this DIY job my friend! Let's see, Ohm's Law is V=IR, correct? Ha! You are bringing my hard-to-master college physics back to mind - shame on you!

As much as I like EVERYTHING about the beautiful S550, I'm not good enough with my hands to attempt something like this

However, I'm going to watch this thread to see if anyone is adventurous (and talented) enough to do this!

Last edited by Musikmann; 07-23-2006 at 09:41 AM. Reason: adding
Old 07-23-2006, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
It should be relatively easy to do. All you need is a stripped optical cable, and some high power LED. Beam the LED into one end of the cable, and you're all set. Just don't bend the optical cable too hard to break it.

If you want convenient, get the 12V LED, then you don't have to worry about voltage. You could even get the multi-color LED, so color could be changed on the fly . Optical cable will help to distribute the light evenly cross the cable.

The W221 does use optical cable for the light effect. The Angel-eye from BMW headlight also use this concept (I've opened up several X5 and 530 headlight back when I open up BMW headlight for projector).

The hard thing, as often, is to make the whole thing look professional: mount the cable nicely to the dash.

Last edited by zam2000; 07-23-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
damn that would be freaking sick!!!! do it do it!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
damn that would be freaking sick!!!! do it do it!
After you, sir!

Maybe Raymond can provide more product link to intrigue you all.
Or...go to ebay and search on "EL wire" or "EL tape"
Old 07-24-2006, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Another idea, a recent project on my buddy's bimmer - that was certainly a lot easier ..
Attached Thumbnails Are you up to the new Ambient Light mod?  I can provide calculation. :)-p1000045no-platesml.jpg  
Old 07-24-2006, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
there is one that my friend did on his car. There are those little low intensy emmitting projectors that are mounted on eitehr side of the headliner, so it lights it up.... dunno how to better explain it. i'll have to get pics
Old 07-24-2006, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by The Godfather
there is one that my friend did on his car. There are those little low intensy emmitting projectors that are mounted on eitehr side of the headliner, so it lights it up.... dunno how to better explain it. i'll have to get pics
I know exactly what you mean but the ones I used were more like an LED inside a capped housing which gives a more dispersed light. These are meant for the B pillar, pointing up towards the roof, giving the effect of those upward mood lights in building interiors but on the W210, I found the roof was too squared and there is nowhere to hide the wires so I gave them to my friend and we played around with the A pillar idea.. I think I've got too much attention with my lights in the door pockets and footwells, as well as puddles already anyways so I gave up on those in the end.

In these pics, they also have those projector things on top of the A Pillars that you'd just mentioned...
Attached Thumbnails Are you up to the new Ambient Light mod?  I can provide calculation. :)-celsior1.jpg   Are you up to the new Ambient Light mod?  I can provide calculation. :)-celsior3.jpg  

Last edited by Whitey; 07-24-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
The funniest thing was when my friend turned on those lights while driving along in a tunnel, all the cars around him slowed right down...probably thinking "WTF? Cop?"
Old 07-24-2006, 11:36 PM

There ought to be someone out there done more tasteful ambient mod other then ricy blue!

Com'on guys.... we are driving MB here!!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
I know exactly what you mean but the ones I used were more like an LED inside a capped housing which gives a more dispersed light. These are meant for the B pillar, pointing up towards the roof, giving the effect of those upward mood lights in building interiors but on the W210, I found the roof was too squared and there is nowhere to hide the wires so I gave them to my friend and we played around with the A pillar idea.. I think I've got too much attention with my lights in the door pockets and footwells, as well as puddles already anyways so I gave up on those in the end.

In these pics, they also have those projector things on top of the A Pillars that you'd just mentioned...
Can you get those for W210?
Old 07-25-2006, 04:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by no_clue
There ought to be someone out there done more tasteful ambient mod other then ricy blue!

Com'on guys.... we are driving MB here!!!!
"Taste" is a very subjective matter........ - a lot of people happen to love my blue lights with my interior colors, especially the girls.... so I am not complaining To each their own I would say to this!!!!!

No_clue I'm on your side most of the time, but what does "driving an MB here mean"? Does owning an old Benz and trying to pretend it is a new model with things meant for newer benzes means you have taste but no money? Worst, using your logic, wouldn't be putting Lexus licence plate bulbs be an insult too .......?

Last edited by Whitey; 07-25-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:26 AM

"Taste" is a very subjective matter........ - a lot of people happen to love my blue lights with my interior colors, especially the girls.... so I am not complaining To each their own I would say to this!!!!!

No_clue I'm on your side most of the time, but what does "driving an MB here mean"? Does owning an old Benz and trying to pretend it is a new model with things meant for newer benzes means you have taste but no money? Worst, using your logic, wouldn't be putting Lexus licence plate bulbs be an insult too .......?

Ouch, you got the point!