E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Hello-Stereo question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 W210 E320
Hello-Stereo question

I just purchases a 2001 E320. And I am happy as can be. I am very glad I found this place, it's got tons of great information. Thank you all for being so helpful.
I was interested in putting an alpine system with the ipod adapter into the car, has anyone done this? can you control the alpine (and therefore the ipod) thru the steering controls?
my car also has phone attachments, does anyone actually use this? what kind of phone works with it? I am guessing some kind of old motorola?
Also, I opted out of MB's On-Starish (whatever it's called) service... but i was wondering, does the SOS button still work for emergencies? I've read the manual front to back but it is a little ambiguous about that.

Thanks!

david
Old 08-20-2006, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
From what I have been told, you can not interface to the steering wheel.
When you opt out of Tel-Aid it will dial, and you get an intercept on all functions. The system is analog which also be discontinued, there was some talk about making an upgrade transmitter available. If you have a cell phone most will respond to 911 even if you dont subscribe.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic Wagon
It is easy to add an aftermarket headunit to your E320 by simply reusing the stock Bose amp and speakers. Check out my info posted here.

To do it yourself, you need about $60 in parts. You should have either soldering tools and skill and/or wire tap-ins (McMaster-Carr part # 7063K32). Or buy the parts, bring them to your local installer, and insist that it is possible and that they should do it. Every installer I spoke to wanted to tear out the Bose system because they either didn't know this was possible or wanted to take my money.

You will loose steering wheel controls using this method. You could probably retain them using an expensive box like the PAC 20 (I think is the name... Pacific Audio?). A cheaper option would be a steering wheel mounted stalk controler (like one from Sony). It could learn the infrared controls of the Alpine remote, so you could program its buttons to do whatever you want.

You could install the Alpine in either the radio spot or the eyeglass bin below the radio. For your setup, I'd install the Alpine up top, then drill a hole in insire top of the eyeglass bin and run the iPod wire in there. Then, you could have a place to put your iPod with no visible wires. Make sure to use a cable that's long enough so you can pull the iPod all the way out (4 feet?). The bin comes out of the plastic frame with the woodgrain door. However, I was unable to find the plastic bin for sale by itself. I was hoping to have a backup incase I drilled into mine so I could restore it to stock for resale.

I am *almost* done adding an Alpine AND a second headunit to my 02 E320 wagon using this setup. I will post pictures when I'm finally done. Good luck.

Last edited by FireFox31; 08-27-2006 at 07:11 PM.