E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

96 e320 Not Starting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 e320 Not Starting

Maybe someone here can help on this issue. I never had a problem with the car starting before. But today I went for a newspaper and when i got back in the car no fire. I tried everything, i sprayed some ether the car starts and runs until the ether runs out. I have a feeling its the fuel pump, but have not got dirty yet to find out. Anyone have suggestion?

floridagc
Old 09-17-2006, 09:45 PM

E320
Originally Posted by floridagc
Maybe someone here can help on this issue. I never had a problem with the car starting before. But today I went for a newspaper and when i got back in the car no fire. I tried everything, i sprayed some ether the car starts and runs until the ether runs out. I have a feeling its the fuel pump, but have not got dirty yet to find out. Anyone have suggestion?

floridagc
I have a 96 E320 ... up until a few days ago I used to call it Mr. Reliable ... now I've had CEL come on and the ASR light come on ...

Have you tried cracking a fuel line to see if your getting fuel pressure? If you have a fuel pressure guage (I don't have one anymore) ... you could tap into a test port on the fuel rail. Seems if ether makes it run ... then dies ... has to be fuel starvation. If you have over 100k on the car ... sure could be a fuel pump. I don't think fuel filter clog do they? I had an ML320 years ago, not a Mr. Reliable kind of car, and it left me stranded in Washington DC ... and it was a fuel pump.

Let us know what you find out ... I think my E320 is headed into its golden years .. and just like me .. parts are starting to wear out (darn it).
Old 09-17-2006, 10:38 PM

The car just tuned 33,000 miles, I did not check the pump yet, probably what it is. I just changed the fuel filter, so I will check it out monday, I know its not the relay checked that.

floridagc
Old 09-18-2006, 10:14 AM

Well after checking the fuel system today it seems the pump is bad. I put a voltage meter on the pump power leads and cranked the engine, it gets voltage but does not activate the pump. So off to the MB dealer to get a new pump.

Floridagc