E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Alt., Volt. Reg., or what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2006 | 09:51 AM
Almost a Member!

'96 E320
Question Alt., Volt. Reg., or what?

Yesterday, my '96 e320 was dead to the world, at least in terms of starting. It had very limited reserve and would not turn fast enough to start. Today was even worse. Basically, no power to anything and only got the "click click click" from the starter.

Here are a few notations for the past few days for all to consider, and in the order of occurance:

Two days ago...
1) Got a "check engine electronics" error. Remained on and occured every time I started the car that day.
2) Got a CEL shortly thereafter.
3) Had one occasion of extremely rough idle at a stop light (probably MAF on its way out and unrelated to this...)
4) Had a strong smell of gasoline in the garage after parking there overnight.

Yesterday...
1) Car would not start, but would turn-over - slowly. Most electronic (dome light, headlights, etc.) weak or dead.

Today...
1) No power - less than yesterday if that is possible (see, "click, click click" above).
2) Jumped started the ran for about an hour some at idle, some at 70mph +
3) Noticed that headlights and turn signal took excessive power draws by way of making the odometer, clock, and temp LED's "flash" from normal to dim as the signal flashed from off to on.
4) Stopped in at work. Tried to start immediately, turned slowly. Did not start.

My first thought was that the Altenator is not charging the battery - however, I can't explain how the car could opperate all electrionics on a dead battery without some output from the altenator.

Next would be the voltage reg. which is not allowing the battery to be properly charged. But I am unsure if a faulty VR would drain an otherwise good battery.

I am a stong Do It Your-selfer and would appreciate any help with locating parts and install info.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jimmy

Last edited by Top Jimmy; 09-21-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-21-2006 | 10:06 AM

00 E430 Sport
I would have battery and cables checked. IMO
Old 09-21-2006 | 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
1. Check your battery cables to see if they're hooked on properly. I once had some scum bag mechanic give my car a "tune-Up" and the ******* left the battery cables lose on purpose...should have done that ***** my self

2. while the car is running, disconnect the battery cables. If the car dies, then you are in DIRE need of a new alternator. Do not connect the cables while the car is running, just to be on the safe side with your ECU.

shut off the car, then re-connect the cables.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2006 | 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
Next would be the voltage reg. which is not allowing the battery to be properly charged. But I am unsure if a faulty VR would drain an otherwise good battery.
Bingo....my bet is the voltage regulator.
Old 09-22-2006 | 12:31 AM

my guess it sounds like it could be the voltage regulator, but it could also be the bcm ( battery control module)...
Old 09-25-2006 | 02:56 PM
Almost a Member!

'96 E320
Seems to have been the 10 year old battery.... At least that is what I replaced last Friday.

Went with the Interstate replacement for $125 installed. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about... Checked my battery (under the seat and not under the hood) then checked my alt. output. Bad battery.

Three days later, I am starting like a champ and very pleased with Interstate.

I will update if that changes for any reason.

Thanks for those who replied!

Jimmy