E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Traction Support: Ive searched and tried a bunch of stuff but im stumped

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Traction Support: Ive searched and tried a bunch of stuff but im stumped

Basically the car is a 97 e320, car has been running fine for the last 3k miles that I have had it. Yesterday the car shuts off while im driving and EL. Traction Support comes up on the instrument display.

Now the car cranks and comes to where it is supposed to idle and shuts off immediatly. I left it overnight and started it in the morning and it ran for about 30 seconds and shut off. I read alot of peoples post where the traction support thing was related to a brake switch and a crankshaft position sensor, but noone seemed to have the stalling problem that I am having.

I figured the CPS made more sence in my case since it would be hard for the car to run without a crank signal so I replaced that today, started the car, it ran for 15 seconds and died. I did however note that the part that my mercedes dealer gave me is one number off on the CPS sensor from the original. The original reads
A 003 153 95 28 and the new one reads
A 003 153 96 28 the 95 and 96 is different, can this be causing the problem and the new CPS isnt compatible basically rendering my part replacement useless?

EDIT: I looked into the number format for benz and the two digits prior to the last digits is the version number of the part and the last two digits is the part, so i suppose they just gave me a newer version of the part that I needed, should work I guess... but it didn't

Im thinking im going to go ahead and change the brake switch but would this cause the car not to run. My next option after that is a new battery, since I read this solved some peoples problems.

Funny thing is I bought this car as a daily driver to accompany my Nissan 240sx track car which is consantly breaking due to abuse and lots of power and here I am going to the benz dealer in the nissan for parts, go figure.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:02 PM

Changed the brake light switch and nothing happened, car is gettting towed tomorrow but suggestions are welcome, Ill post the resolution for anyones elses reference once I find out whats going on.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:40 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
Hate to say it but Benzs are not very unreliable. Just look at Consumer Reports. MB is now one of the worst car makes in terms of reliability. The last real Benz made was the W124 E class (the old one with the rectangular headlights). Be prepared to spend a few thousand dollars a year in repairs.

These cars are great fun to drive but a headache to maintain.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:22 AM

Hey believe me compared to my nissan a 91 ford taurus would be considered reliable, Im not against spending money to keep a car in good running order. Id rather drive a old benzo that requires upkeep than a new altima thats under warranty, I just want to get the car on the road again asap, I love driving it. I have to post some pics actually, its a nice looker too, 19" staggered wheels, carlsson body kit, 2.5 inch drop... I miss her already.... Although Ive been enjoying my nissan the last few days since I havent drivnin it in a few months, its a 12 second, 1 g skidpad pulling monster of a race car that shouldnt be allowed on public streets. Anyways I just came home drunk after a night of partying so Im rambling on, any help is still appreciated
Old 09-30-2006, 09:05 PM

Got my car back, it was the air flow meter. I guess the traction control gives errors on almost any sensor that goes bad on benzes, pretty lame, whatever shes back up and running.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'98 E320 4Matic, '85 380SL
The traction control light came on because the engine died, not because there was a specific failure.

Your car has built-in diagnostics that could have told you the MAF sensor broke and saved you the hassle of replacing the CPS.

Glad it's back on the road. Your new MAF should be good for another 80k-100k miles.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:47 PM

1997 E320
Originally Posted by telemakhos
Hate to say it but Benzs are not very unreliable. Just look at Consumer Reports. MB is now one of the worst car makes in terms of reliability. The last real Benz made was the W124 E class (the old one with the rectangular headlights). Be prepared to spend a few thousand dollars a year in repairs.

These cars are great fun to drive but a headache to maintain.
I had two W124s and now have two W210s. I think the two platforms are about equal in reliability. I had well over 200K miles on the last W124. My 1997 W210 has 110K and the 2002 has 80K. These all have been very reliable cars. The only weakness has been the connectors for the lights.