E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Using a Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320
Using a Battery Tender

What's the best and safest way to 'trickle charge' a 2001 W210 using a Battery Tender?

Thanks for a reply...
Old 10-16-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e300d
Simply by connecting it as intended by the mfr.

I've been using the Battery Tender + and the Yuasa equivalents for years. I will say, contrary to mfr claims, there is way too much boil-off for my liking. The mfrs claim this doesn't happen...even at 10 mA.

When I pulled my motorcycle battery this spring to check the water level, I found it completely dry. When I say completely dry I mean completely dry I turned it upside down and not a drop ran out So, my new strategy is to leave it on for no more than a day or two and do this once a month. Seems to be a better strategy.

Richard, if you're going to leave it on for an extended period, be certain to check your water level often, and also look for drips under the car coming from the drip hose.

BTW, Yuasa has the highest-rated device. and is a true 5 step charger.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:05 PM

2001 E320
Originally Posted by uberwgn
Simply by connecting it as intended by the mfr.

I've been using the Battery Tender + and the Yuasa equivalents for years. I will say, contrary to mfr claims, there is way too much boil-off for my liking. The mfrs claim this doesn't happen...even at 10 mA.

When I pulled my motorcycle battery this spring to check the water level, I found it completely dry. When I say completely dry I mean completely dry I turned it upside down and not a drop ran out So, my new strategy is to leave it on for no more than a day or two and do this once a month. Seems to be a better strategy.

Richard, if you're going to leave it on for an extended period, be certain to check your water level often, and also look for drips under the car coming from the drip hose.

BTW, Yuasa has the highest-rated device. and is a true 5 step charger.
uberwgn;

I have a small Battery Tender for my motorcycle; it cycles on and then off. Would this be acceptable for my W210 or do I need something bigger? I just want to 'top the battery off' once in awhile during the winter since I don't drive it much. I had to replace the battery two years ago just because I didn't drive it and didn't use a Battery Tender.

Also, on my Harley I have it hard-wired, but the charger also came with mini-clamps. Would I need to hook it directly to the battery, by way of the mini-clamps? Or can it be hooked up under the hood by way of 'jump starting' it?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:22 PM

e300d
Your BT is absolutely fine for the car....no concerns there.

I connect both our Benzes via the underhood jump start connections. It's fine, keep it simple. Do watch the water level !
Old 10-16-2006, 03:31 PM

2001 E320
Originally Posted by uberwgn
Your BT is absolutely fine for the car....no concerns there.

I connect both our Benzes via the underhood jump start connections. It's fine, keep it simple. Do watch the water level !
uberwgn;

I called my local M-B dealer and asked my question: I was specifically told not to use the jump-start connections. Any idea why?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:38 PM

e300d
I have no idea why they'd say that unless they think you're pushing a lot of amperage with your charger. If they're not familiar with the BT and its very low current, they might assume it's kicking out 10A or more.

I've been using that underhood connection technique for quite some time.