E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

'97 E420 Air Mass Meter removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 08:52 AM
jrs
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420
'97 E420 Air Mass Meter removal

Hi guys, I could really use some advice please about how to remove this.

I've disconnected the 2 electrical connectors, and it will rotate back and forth about 1/16 of a turn, but it will not pull out. I see no other clips, etc., except 2 hose clamp-like devices buried way down there, that I can't get to.

How do I proceed, and if it is those hose clamp-type devices, how would they be accessed? I can't get a screwdriver or a socket on them due to interferences, and I'm hoping a lot of disassembly wouldn't be required to remove this.

Thank you VERY much,

John
Old 10-24-2006, 04:13 PM

did you figure this out yet?

Mine's an E320 but I can't imagine that the MAF is different for your engine.

My guess is that if you are having such a hard time you're doing something very wrong. Make sure you're trying to remove the entire tube assembly? All that you need to do is remove the clamps from both sides of the intake tube and then unclip the wire. The new MAF should include the tube piece that houses the actual sensor itself.

It looks like this: http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com...Air+Mass+Meter
Old 10-28-2006, 08:03 AM
jrs
Almost a Member!

1997 E420
Yes, I got it out by twisting it and pulling it up. I was never able to loosen the clamps. To do this I would have had to do some additional disassembly to get a wrench down there.

Between the 6 and 8 cylinder cars, while the MAFs could be similar, I imagine that there could be differences in accessing them.

Good news is, I was able to carefully scrape the film off the sensor wire with a jeweler's screwdriver, and (so far) the car runs great and the trouble code hasn't recurred. Of course, now I see that I could have done this by just pulling the sensor out of the side of the MAF, rather than removing the entire thing. Next time I'll know!

Thanks,

John