E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Spring perch repair help - is it all welding?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
Spring perch repair help - is it all welding?

I posted a while ago about one of the spring perches rusting on my 97 E420. It looks like the previous owner had it repaired at a MB dealership, but their repair was to apply some thick silicone/rubber/? stuff along the contact points on both sides of the spring perch. the silicone is coming off on one side and I can see rust underneath.

I know a skilled local welder, so I wonder if I can have him take a look at the car and weld the contact points again for a good price, instead of paying $1000 per side at a local bodyshop? I don't see what else might be involved in this repair other than some skilled welding craftsmanship. Correct me if i'm wrong..
Old 10-24-2006, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both sides of my car (Spring perch) had terrible rush , MB dealer had it fixed at no cost to me... MB dealer sent my car to a local body shop that works on MB and BMW only, after that my car went back to MB dealer for re-alignment ,,, so you may want to contact your MB dealer directly, MB knows this is a major problem w/ this model, it should correct your problem for free

Good luck
Old 10-24-2006, 11:38 AM

Take it to your dealer and complain like hell that a frame weld on a $55k car should not fail ever. When mine failed they fixed both sides at no cost under the code 'extended warranty repair'. It took around 3 days for them to fix. They were very cordial about it and stated that they have fixed this at no cost for dozens of owners.

By all means, get this fixed and don't drive it. One of the scariest moments of my life was when my spring perch failed on the road. Parts flying everywhere, axle fell onto the frame, grinding, screeching, the horror, the horror. You get my point, I was going 30mph and it would have been a disaster had it happened at 80mph...
Old 10-30-2006, 07:34 PM

You Could go to this page and see the rust problems of my car... Terrible quality from MB...

MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W210)
Reload this Page '96 E320 - Watch out for problems with the front Spring Towers
Old 11-23-2006, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
This is f#(king ridiculous. The local MB dealership flatout declined to repair, or even inspect my 97 E420 with rusted spring perches. Frame weld rusting and falling apart in a gently driven 9 year-old car is absolutely disgusting, and they had the ***** to say "Tough luck, it's your problem so get lost." This is a serious problem that could endanger the lives of my family and yet MB and MB dealership are completely ignoring it. F*#k you MB. This will be my last MB.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by ProV1
This is f#(king ridiculous. The local MB dealership flatout declined to repair, or even inspect my 97 E420 with rusted spring perches. Frame weld rusting and falling apart in a gently driven 9 year-old car is absolutely disgusting, and they had the ***** to say "Tough luck, it's your problem so get lost." This is a serious problem that could endanger the lives of my family and yet MB and MB dealership are completely ignoring it. F*#k you MB. This will be my last MB.
Take it up a Notch...Get a Lawyer...Class Action! as Yours is NOT the Only one that has failed...We are Lucky No One has died from this...........YET!

File a report with NTSB
Old 11-23-2006, 06:24 PM

(This is f#(king ridiculous. The local MB dealership flatout declined to repair, or even inspect my 97 E420 with rusted spring perches. Frame weld rusting and falling apart in a gently driven 9 year-old car is absolutely disgusting, and they had the ***** to say "Tough luck, it's your problem so get lost." This is a serious problem that could endanger the lives of my family and yet MB and MB dealership are completely ignoring it. F*#k you MB. This will be my last MB.)

Continue to fight with MB and MB dealer... I am surprised that this is not a recall due to its safety nature... This is one of the reason why we are moving to Lexus , MB is too arrogant to copy others and improve.. This is my first and last MB... We have several Toyota and Honda with family members and they all pass 200K miles without any major problem... My '87 Camry has 190K miles and NEVER in garage due to problems (any scheduled maintenance and I've done almost all of them myself)

Good Luck
Old 11-25-2006, 10:03 AM

04 C320 Coupe MT
If you have this problem the CORRECT repair is to install a new special service part that includes the spring perch and part of the frame rail that usually covers the area rusted out. Note that the repair instructions call for the part to be riveted in place - no welding, in the interests of corrosion resistance.

Since the spring perch is being replaced, and that directly affects the ride height, make sure that you go to a dealer/shop that uses the correct equipment (dedicated bench system) to install the part.