E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

97 E420 Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 E420 Brake Lights

Ok, after searching around here and seeing those beautiful 2000+ tail lights on earlier W210 models, I decided to purchase a pair and installed today. What I noticed when I removed the passenger side brake and reverse light on the trunk of my 97 E420 the reverse section had no bulb inserted, only a bulb for the brake. I had first installed the driver side brake and reverse light first and each of those had bulbs. The new lights I installed on each side had openings for 2 bulbs per side. I am totally cornfused as we say in the south, everything works except no brake lights on either side, the reverse lights work. Got that nasty "defective lamp" showing up in front of me now, what it feels like it is saying, is that you should have left enough alone.

Anyone else ever experience this? After pulling your brake and reverse lights did the passenger side have only one socket opening with one bulb? I mean the other (reverse) light has a blank metal cover over the opening. Any help is appreciated. On another note, damn it's cold out, about 31F, (cold for us) but that shrimp gumbo I had tonight got the ole belly full.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:55 PM

1998 E320
Originally Posted by 4runner
Ok, after searching around here and seeing those beautiful 2000+ tail lights on earlier W210 models, I decided to purchase a pair and installed today. What I noticed when I removed the passenger side brake and reverse light on the trunk of my 97 E420 the reverse section had no bulb inserted, only a bulb for the brake. I had first installed the driver side brake and reverse light first and each of those had bulbs. The new lights I installed on each side had openings for 2 bulbs per side. I am totally cornfused as we say in the south, everything works except no brake lights on either side, the reverse lights work. Got that nasty "defective lamp" showing up in front of me now, what it feels like it is saying, is that you should have left enough alone.

Anyone else ever experience this? After pulling your brake and reverse lights did the passenger side have only one socket opening with one bulb? I mean the other (reverse) light has a blank metal cover over the opening. Any help is appreciated. On another note, damn it's cold out, about 31F, (cold for us) but that shrimp gumbo I had tonight got the ole belly full.
Okay, first off, the cover on the rear right is where a fog light is "supposed" to go but was not designed to go there. Those real lights that are on the trunk are not your brake lights, those are your fog lights which you do not use, and it only will work on your left side.

Also, with those new tail lights, you are going to need new brake light bulb holders (the plastic circle thing that holds the bulbs and twists into the new housing), they cost like $20 bucks at the dealer, get them for the 2000 model. I went through the SAME EXACT experience as you. It really is easy to solve but I didn't know where to look.

Also, you have the "light defective" on because of this ^^^ Not because of the empty spaces on the rear fog lights. It took me a while to find that out. I went everywhere thinking that the rear fog lights were the problem, but it turned out that I just needed the bulb holder things.

Last edited by OldNate; 12-02-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nate
Okay, first off, the cover on the rear right is where a fog light is "supposed" to go but was not designed to go there. Those real lights that are on the trunk are not your brake lights, those are your fog lights which you do not use, and it only will work on your left side.

Also, with those new tail lights, you are going to need new brake light bulb holders (the plastic circle thing that holds the bulbs and twists into the new housing), they cost like $20 bucks at the dealer, get them for the 2000 model. I went through the SAME EXACT experience as you. It really is easy to solve but I didn't know where to look.

Also, you have the "light defective" on because of this ^^^ Not because of the empty spaces on the rear fog lights. It took me a while to find that out. I went everywhere thinking that the rear fog lights were the problem, but it turned out that I just needed the bulb holder things.
Ok thanks, so basically I only need that one bulb socket on the passenger side?? Get the same spec bulb socket as the driver side? Funny thing is that the driver side has 2 socket bulbs, why doesn't that side light up when brake pedal is depressed? Is it because the brake lights are run in parralel??
Old 12-02-2006, 11:11 PM

1998 E320
Originally Posted by 4runner
Ok thanks, so basically I only need that one bulb socket on the passenger side?? Get the same spec bulb socket as the driver side? Funny thing is that the driver side has 2 socket bulbs, why doesn't that side light up when brake pedal is depressed? Is it because the brake lights are run in parralel??
Yes, you are correct. You only need a bulb on the rear left fog light(drivers side), not on the right. the fog lights are the lights that are on the trunk itself, not the body. The brake lights, are on the body itself, both sides should light up. They won't light up if you are using the same light bulb sockets that came with your old tail lights. You need to buy the newer light bulb sockets (thing that holds the bulb) to twist into the spot for the brake lights.

"Funny thing is that the driver side has 2 socket bulbs, why doesn't that side light up when brake pedal is depressed"
^^^This is because that is a Fog light, not a brake light. Pull out the knob for the lights as far as it can go (2 clicks) and you will see that light turn on.

Last edited by OldNate; 12-02-2006 at 11:13 PM.