E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Help With INSURANCE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 2000
Question Help With INSURANCE

Hello All,
I just got hit in the back from a driver from PA. I live in NYC. Got my police report and they didnt state the drivers 3 digit insurance code on the report. And to my dismay there is no way to get PAID. Repairs were estimated at $2000. Is there anyone who knows how i get get this code. Police are no help told me since driver in not from NY they dont write the code on the report HUH?WTF. So there is no way i can find out their insurance information. I have Geico and they said they cant help me either. So i have to go through my insurance and pay my deductable? And this person gets off at my expensive. What do i have to do call Judge JUDY (jk). This really sucks. If anyone knows where i can call please let me know. Tried the DMV but since driver isnt from NY they cant help me. Come on give me a break. Everywhere i call i get the runaround. Cops wont help Insurance cant help DMV wont help CAN ANYONE HELP ME? Do have to try one of these places again for the info needed.

THANKS
Old 12-08-2006, 09:05 AM

This does not sound right. You got their license plate # right? As long as you have a police report and a plate #, all you should have to do is file an accident claim with your insurance company. They'll take care of the rest. You're not required to learn their insurance carrier at the scene of the accident, that's what your carrier is for. As long as you have their plate # you should be all set. Does the police report say anything about whom is at fault? Sounds like if they hit you in the rear end, the whole thing will be paid for by the other party.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Did the police respond to the scene?
As far as getting the insurance codes that is not a big deal all insurance companys have 3 digit codes and it's displayed on top of the insurance id card.
What was that guys insurance company?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:12 AM

1998 E320
You have his insurance company name, right? Call them for the code if it is not here:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehic...ance_codes.doc

and after this is done - write your state reps to complain about this police practice. It makes no sense

bob
Old 12-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Almost a Member!

E320 2000
Thanks for responses
But the POLICE did not state the 3 digit insurance code on the police report. And this is where i am getting screwed over. I have no clue what insurance she had (she was 100% at fault) and this is pissing me off. My insurance GEICO said they cant access files from Pennsylvania since my coverage is in NYC. So if i want to file a claim i have to pay my $1000 deductable first and then go after the driver after HUH? I am scared that if i go through my insurance my rates will rise(but why should i go thru my insurance anyway). I have everything on POLICE REPORT except her insurance 3 digit code. Cops were keen enough to get her name, license #, DOB, and address even wrote her insurance ID with an expiration of 10/26/06 (which is expired) but box where insurane code is was left blank. If anyone in STROUDSBURG, PENNSYLVANIA knows how i can find out insurance for drivers out there please HELP.
THANKS AGAIN
Old 12-09-2006, 08:34 AM

Might sound silly, but have you tried contacting the driver and asking her what is the name of her insurance company. Also, you can start a small claim action against her and inform her if she does not want to pay to forward her insurance information so they will pay.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:44 AM

1998 E320
Originally Posted by will420
Might sound silly, but have you tried contacting the driver and asking her what is the name of her insurance company. Also, you can start a small claim action against her and inform her if she does not want to pay to forward her insurance information so they will pay.

No, not silly at all. Not as silly as a police report without the insurance cmpany name! And since this is not common practice I am sure the person will not think that they are doing any protecting by not giving it up.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:47 AM

1998 E320
btw, my wife had an accident a few years back. It was the other guys fault and the police report was clear. We paid our deductible and had the car fixed. My insurance processed everything and in 5 months or so we got our 500 deductible back after his insurance paid it...

but you know what? That insurance transaction (any?) showed up on Carfax and made her car worthless on a trade. I mean worthless - the place I get my cars from will not work w/ a car with a carfax accident report on it. NOW that sucked.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Report it to your insurance company, give them all the pertinent details that you have and tell them to subregate against the other driver. When they do and are successful you should get your deductable back. In fact have your insurance agent do all the leg work and earn the commission he received that is, unless you are with a cheapie insurance company that deals direct.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 AM

Not sure it makes a difference because you're in a different state but in Mass, if in an accident, there is no requirement for a police report. All you need is to swap info with the other driver, call the insuarnace company to file a report, and they take care of opening a case and sorting out all of the payment details.

I can't imagine your state can be so stringent as to hold you liable becuase the officer left a small detail off of the police report. I would ask to speak with a Manager or higher level customer service person and raise holy hell. Ask that talking lizard to help you out...