E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)
View Poll Results: Is this a common problem with these models?
Yes
28.57%
No
71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Calling all know-it-alls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Calling all know-it-alls

Hi folks. Im the new kid on the block droppin by to kindly say hello to all members of MBW.org.
Now on with my q.uestion(s)...

My cousin and I were on a Thanksgiving day trip up to VT from NYC in his 1998 MB E320(non 4Matic) when he accidentally hit his shift lever from D to 3rd gear. His car did not like that mistake very much. It went into LIMP MODE soon afterward. I tried a few tricks of my own to try to reset the computer. 1st thing that I tried was turning the vehicle off then back on. That proved to be useless. Next I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, then reconnected it. That action proved to be useless also. We drove the vehicle the remaining 15 miles to our destination in LIMP MODE. I again disconnected the battery for the entire night. Hooked everything back up in the morning but still no success.

I had to trailer the MB back to NYC with my truck to his mechanic (very reputable). His mechanic has been working on this problem since then with no success at all. The mechanic inspected the entire wiring harness of the vehice as per the fine folks at the MB dealership (sarcasm) but again, the mechanic found nothing wrong in the wiring. The mechanic just got off of the phone with me. He told me that the entire LEFT bank of the engine is not firing. All 3 Cylinders are off. He has asked me to source out a replacement engine ECU for the ole MB. These are the part #'s he gave me for the said part: MB# A0235459732 HW18.96 and Bosch # 026 120 4780. Can anyone please help shed some light on this problem and also help me verify that these are the correct part #s for this MB E320 (non 4MATIC). Any and all answers or comments will be greatly appreciated. TIA!

PS..Happy New Year to all of you. (belated)

Jay

Last edited by EuroTunerJay; 01-09-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
aint no know-it-all but

Any codes?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 PM

1997 C36AMG
well

you should try this first, make sure that, u change the sparks that aren't firing, if that doens't work make sure the spark plug wires are good, then if nothing, u should take it into mercedes, it may be more damage that just the engine, bay, also , is the car like driving wobbly? it should be driving very rough with only 3 sparks, surprised it even moved.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:30 PM

Hmm..

I didnt ask mechanic if he noted any codes. I will do so ASAP. It did not make any sense to me either that he said the engine was running on 3 cylinders. If thats the case then the vehicle would have not started or ran. FYI..The vehicle would not shift past 3rd gear or go over 35mph when this problem occured. Thanks again...keep the answers coming! TIA
Old 01-10-2007, 04:22 AM

E320 W210
Originally Posted by EuroTunerJay
I didnt ask mechanic if he noted any codes. I will do so ASAP. It did not make any sense to me either that he said the engine was running on 3 cylinders. If thats the case then the vehicle would have not started or ran. FYI..The vehicle would not shift past 3rd gear or go over 35mph when this problem occured. Thanks again...keep the answers coming! TIA

i encountered a similar problem. I had two pistons misfire and turned my benz into limp mode. It was very random.....scary non the less....out of no where from 0-30....a masssive high rev uncontrollable by me...then a break sound...then a check engine light.