E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Different version of the Depo headlight ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Different version of the Depo headlight ??

Some people PM or email me, and ask why do they see price for the so call Depo headlight is all over the place (especially, the one on eBay, some are quite cheap). I talked to the folk at AutoDynamic (Depo distributor in CA), and I'm told that the ones on eBay are EagleEyes, eventhough some of them advertised as Depo.

I don't completely trust whatever seller tell me. But here's what I know, based on my experience working on them: there are several version of the aftermarket W210 headlight, the one from Depo have 90mm projector, and other version seem to use the smaller projector, and not built as well. I highly recommend the 90mm Depo version (they're the one I use for retro). Couple advantage to this: just with some cut, you can fit a Hella 90mm bi-xenon in it, and more importantly, you can reuse the shroud (the chome ring around the projector). The other versions of the headlight (Eagle Eyes, probably some other), use the smaller 70mm projector, and they're not built as well as the 90mm Depo version that I use. They would not take the 90mm bi-xenon (or xenon) projector, especially the bi-xenon version, unless you cut a lot, and doing so, weaken the internal structure. And the shroud can not be reused, you might have to buy a pair of the E55 shroud if you go this path. (The 90mm projector is around 20% larger than the 70mm one)

From the look at the projector, it's easy to distinguish, look at the shroud. The Depo version that use 90mm, the shroud (chrome ring around the projector) is slimmer and thinner, the other version of the W210 headlight, using 70mm projector, the shroud is much bigger and thicker. The 90mm Depo on from procarparts and autodynamic is identical to the one that InPro bring to Europe and double the price, talking about daytime robbery . I have no clue about the other claimed Depo or the Eagle Eyes one.

Here're couple pix that I could find, eventhough on the second and third one it's advertised as Depo, but the folk at AutoDynamic swear that it's not Depo, but rather, EagleEyes. And by looking at eBay, I think there are even more version of the projector headlight of the W210, more like 4-5 different styles/version, but most of them don't advertised as Depo.

You could always all those guy at AutoDynamic and ask for more info. They're quite friendly, even if you don't buy stuff from them, they're still very helpful. They joke to be that's why none of the vendor on eBay allow local pickup (though they're all in SoCal), since they sell "fake" Depo light, more like fake of fake stuff

At the end, it's up to you, they both produce lousy light anyway , and need to be replaced

So when you're buying on eBay, ask a lot of question, and make sure you get exactly what you want.

Here're pix of the "Depo" projector headlight, first one is 90mm, second and third use 70mm projector, and the folk at AutoDynamic told me that they're not really Depo (fake Depo ????). The third one is a black out version of the second one.

Last edited by zam2000; 01-13-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E320
actually there ARE original blacked-out DEPOs with 90mm projectors
Old 01-13-2007, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ReZzZ320
actually there ARE original blacked-out DEPOs with 90mm projectors
I just posting what I'm told. But I could tell from your signature that you have a black out version of 90mm projector headlight
Old 01-13-2007, 06:15 PM

1997 E300D
So the ones below are not Depo? They say they are but the backs of them do look different...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-99...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-13-2007, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zackb911
So the ones below are not Depo? They say they are but the backs of them do look different...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-99...spagenameZWDVW
That's the Depo one. The back of the 96-99 is different than the 2000-on
Old 01-14-2007, 02:03 AM

W210 E320
Originally Posted by zam2000
I just posting what I'm told. But I could tell from your signature that you have a black out version of 90mm projector headlight
they are original DEPOs and blacked out

the projectors are 90mm as well

check out Atomic Street they sell original DEPOs