E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Picked up the car, have some issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Picked up the car, have some issues

1. The bulb in the climate control burned out. dealer wanted 80 to replace, I will get the tools, and fix it myself. What type of bulb do I need?

2. Command system does not recognize that the cd changer has a magazine in it. The magazine also will not eject. Dealer says changer is toast, quoted 800 for a replacement.

3. Squeaky steering wheel when moving slightly off center. Annoying, but I've heard its steering rack related at a lovely 2700 a pop. I'll live with this if there is no easy fix.

4. C pillar interior panel loose on drivers side. The clips won't lock into place. Do I need a new panel, or just some new clips? Any other help here?

So far, not quite what I expected...
Old 01-20-2007, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
oh, and now the rear window sunshade doesn't come all the way up.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Ok, fixed number 4 and the sunshade

The C panel metal clip was bent so it wouldn't hit its metal cousin on the body. After some struggling, I decided to bend the metal clip back with some locking pliers. 5 minutes later and its snug.

The sunshade just required a little tugging, and now it works fine if you do it slowly. Sticky roller is all I believe.

It seems nobody stocks the climate control tools, which sucks, but I can get them cheap online.

Now If there were some easy fix for the steering id be good.

Oh, and the cd player I have is the Mc3198. Is that correct for this model?
Old 01-20-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 e320 2004 e55
Smile

Originally Posted by Oliverk
Ok, fixed number 4 and the sunshade

The C panel metal clip was bent so it wouldn't hit its metal cousin on the body. After some struggling, I decided to bend the metal clip back with some locking pliers. 5 minutes later and its snug.

The sunshade just required a little tugging, and now it works fine if you do it slowly. Sticky roller is all I believe.

It seems nobody stocks the climate control tools, which sucks, but I can get them cheap online.

Now If there were some easy fix for the steering id be good.

Oh, and the cd player I have is the Mc3198. Is that correct for this model?

My mechanic sprayed some lubricant in the steering columm area and it cleared mine up. I believe it's a boot that drys out and needs lubricating. There are a lot of threads on this topic. i.e. Squeeky steering wheel.
You will find that there is always something going on with your MB to annoy you. Once you get it fixed, another will come up. Its the nature of the car. You get used to it. I still wouldn't own any other car....except the ones that I can't afford. : )

Last edited by Bossman123; 01-20-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
3. Squeaky steering wheel when moving slightly off center. Annoying, but I've heard its steering rack related at a lovely 2700 a pop. I'll live with this if there is no easy fix.
TSB send you PM
Old 01-20-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bossman123
My mechanic sprayed some lubricant in the steering columm area and it cleared mine up. I believe it's a boot that drys out and needs lubricating. There are a lot of threads on this topic. i.e. Squeeky steering wheel.
You will find that there is always something going on with your MB to annoy you. Once you get it fixed, another will come up. Its the nature of the car. You get used to it. I still wouldn't own any other car....except the ones that I can't afford. : )
Good Idea, what did he use and where did he spray it?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:36 PM

1. The bulb in the climate control burned out. dealer wanted 80 to replace, I will get the tools, and fix it myself. What type of bulb do I need?

2. Command system does not recognize that the cd changer has a magazine in it. The magazine also will not eject. Dealer says changer is toast, quoted 800 for a replacement.

4. C pillar interior panel loose on drivers side. The clips won't lock into place. Do I need a new panel, or just some new clips? Any other help here?

So far, not quite what I expected...
The first 2 are bull--t and the seller should have informed you, no way they did not know. I have the steering column squeak as well, and it's no detriment to the car's driveability after 2 1/2 years. I sure would like to see if some spray fixed it, however.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by slk55lvr
The first 2 are bull--t and the seller should have informed you, no way they did not know. I have the steering column squeak as well, and it's no detriment to the car's driveability after 2 1/2 years. I sure would like to see if some spray fixed it, however.
The first thing doesn't bother me. Thats an $8 dollar and 5 minute fix.

The CD changer is bs, and I sent the seller an email about it. We'll see what happens.

The display problems im having now are also bs.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
the blower motor regulator also seems to be shot. While it did blow a little bit at max, it certainly was not very strong.