E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 E430 & '00 ML430
Shifter Question

'99, E430, $90K miles

My brakes lights weren't working - so went to the dealer and they said the vehicle has an elctronic shifter-which is starting to age and thus the shifter can not tell the vehicle is in reverse - thus the back-up lights do not go on. They said eventually the vehicle will go into the limp mode. They recommend replacing the electronic shifter - $650.

There has never been any other noticable problems with the shifter or tramission.

Is this for real or is this another example of a stealership in action ?

Any other ideas on how to correct ?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by Rossi430
'99, E430, $90K miles

My brakes lights weren't working - so went to the dealer and they said the vehicle has an elctronic shifter-which is starting to age and thus the shifter can not tell the vehicle is in reverse - thus the back-up lights do not go on. They said eventually the vehicle will go into the limp mode. They recommend replacing the electronic shifter - $650.

There has never been any other noticable problems with the shifter or tramission.

Is this for real or is this another example of a stealership in action ?

Any other ideas on how to correct ?
Is this your brake light switch that not turn on ?

More likely that it's your brake light switch ($15 part, 10 min job), under the dash board. The shifter unit has nothing to do with your brake light.

If it's the reverse light that not turn on, then "may be" it's your electronic control unit. But unless you notice weird shift pattern, I wouldn't bother.

Dealer is right that if the shifter unit is malfunction, it might trigger the car into limp mode (since it can't register gear correctly), but if that's the case, you would have two simptoms: the car either will engage gear (from R to D) very rough, or won't get out of first/second gear. This is nothing new for benz owner, those who accidently spill drink onto the shifter unit often cause it to malfunction, and have to replace this unit. Dealer often quote the entire shifter unit for about $1000-1500, but all you have to replace is the electronic control unit, as the rest of the shifter unit is mechanical, and will last forever. But I can assure you that it has nothing to do with brake light, change your brake light switch first.

The electronic control unit cost a zillion dollars at dealer, or about $100 from mercedesshop-dot-com. I have an extra unit (new) if you want to try, $60. PITA to replace though. But like said, I think it's unlikely it's your shift control unit that failed. Try the brake light switch first

On the diagram, the electronic control unit is (104), bottom left. The rest of the entire unit are all mechanical, and will probably work forever (unless you wack a sledge hammer at it)

Last edited by zam2000; 01-23-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Almost a Member!

cannt get a better reply then that =)
Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 E430 & '00 ML430
Excellent !

Thank you ... it is the back-up lights ... not the brake lights. My error.

I am leaving for vacation tomorrow - but will take you up on the control unit.

Provide me your information so I can mail a check or if you can take a Credit Card - let me know. I am at Vince.Rossi@dsionline.com