E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Diagnosed the stuck rear sunshade!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 02 X5
Diagnosed the stuck rear sunshade!

Several steps culminated in the removal of my sunshade equipped rear hat shelf/parcel shelf:

1. remove rear seats-bottom has spring loaded tabs at the lower corners that you depress to pull entire seat out, the top hangs from the trunk panel and has three 10mm bolts at each bottom corner and at the center below armrest.

2. peel down trunk insulation sheeting inside cabin (it is not adhesive backed)

3. remove rear headrests- there's tricky little black levers at the sides of the headrest mechanisms inside the trunk compartment, only accessible via cutouts in the trunk panel wall- push out the plastic armcovers and depress these levers and wiggle out the headrests. The passenger side rest is the difficult one to get to, as it's a tight fit and the lever to release is only accessible by feel. See this for starters: http://waltermitty.net/mb/W210%20I.MPG

4. remove door gaskets- just pull

5. remove door gasket trim upper/lower- again just pull

6. set everything aside in order or take a picture so you know how to re-assemble.......

7. remove c-pillar trim-first remove the access handle above you, then pull slowly to release the clips holding the c-pillar trim, then unbolt the seatbelt anchor and slip it through the c-pillar trim slit.

8. take a rest from working in a squatting position for 45 minutes! I wore no shoes so I would not scuff/damage my seat backs.

9. You now have a clear look at the parcel shelf which is actually a 2 piece design. Remove two expansion pins at the L & R edges of the front shelf, then slide it all forward to you and remove. I removed the speakers as well to have a easier time working in the small space. Now remove the sunshade unit and rear shelf part that adjoins it. Disconnect the 3d brake light and the sunshade unit power.

10. I now tested the motor of the sunshade unit. It works, but it is too weak to move the shade. On its own it moves, but when not attached the arms of the shade. My tech told me the motor begins to tilt slightly in its housing, and wears the armature unevenly, then it dies eventually. Mine is in a state of decline. I am ordering a new motor and will go back in, tear everything out again and drop the new motor in. I have to wait until late Feb. as my mechanic is heading to Bentley school for 2 weeks and I want an extra set of hands next time round.

The above is fairly self-explanatory but I'll add pictures to this when I tackle the shade issue again.

Last edited by notoriousALE; 01-28-2007 at 11:06 PM.