E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Engine would not start for 45 minutes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury with Sport wheels
Engine would not start for 45 minutes

Have had car ('99 E320) exactly 1 year today, and engine has run great until today. Drove 5 miles and parked for 30 minutes, then drove another 1/2 mile and parked for 30 minutes. Then got in car to leave. Would crank fine but would not fire...did not even act like it was about to fire up...seemed to be spark rather than fuel related. Ambient temp around 48 degrees F. Called AAA.

Before the wrecker arrived I gave it one last try, and engine fired right up and ran OK. Drove home and plugged in Actron OBDII reader/scanner. No codes. Car starts OK now.

I'm suspecting the crank position sensor, and plan to order a new one. Bought car with 82K miles, and now has 105K. Mechanical history unknown.

The MB shop manual (have the CD) says I need to initialize the CPS with Star Diagnostics. Is that really necessary? Of course I don't have a Star Diagnostics tool.

While at it I'll replace the fuel filter, though I don't think that's a problem. Engine runs fine at full throttle, part throttle, or idle. Except for refusing to start today!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
It's your CPS. You don't need Star Dianogstic to test it. Hook it inline and measure resistant. Beam a heat gun on it, if the resistant value start to jump all over the place, it's the CPS. CPS is one of the component that will not register problem with either ODB-2 or Star Diagnostic, so don't bother

That being said, from what you described, 99% chance it's the CPS that cause it. Spark plug, fuel filter, fuel pump/relay would cause lot of misfire or engine stall while driving .

Make sure you have VIN number when order the CPS, there're different style of connectors, depend on VIN number

Originally Posted by Bill-Sims
Have had car

While at it I'll replace the fuel filter, though I don't think that's a problem. Engine runs fine at full throttle, part throttle, or idle. Except for refusing to start today!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury with Sport wheels
Yes, it was the CPS

Ordered replacement CPS from AZ Autohaus and it came in Friday night. Had to use the MB in my work Saturday morning, and twice it failed to start after sitting about 45 minutes, but was OK after sitting about another 10 minutes. I waited about 3 hours for the engine to cool down and then scoped out the CPS. Found it right away, but spent about 10 minutes figuring out how to best reach it and what kind of socket to use. To get room for my hand I had to remove weatherstripping and relocate a couple of wires. No problem then, except I could tell the bolt had a Torx head, and my 8MM Torx socket was too small and 10 MM was too large...I don't have a 9MM in my extensive socket collection. Went on the Internet and found out someone with same engine in the MB SUV had used a 1/4 inch socket.

Screw came loose so easily using my 1/4 socket and 1/4 inch drive rachet that I thought it wasn't turning the bolt. Switched to 1/4 inch driver and had the CPS replaced in practically no time.

Tested the old CPS it and found the resistance Ohms were in specs (about 1100), and as I heated it with a hairdryer the resistance increased to over 1200, then suddenly went to infinity. So that sealed the case--starting problem was the CPS.