E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Help with a couple of issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320
Help with a couple of issues

1. I've got a 98 E320, and for some time now when I attempt to start it, the car will turn over for a few seconds prior to starting. It doesn't happen every time, but I think it is fuel related. Possible injector issue. I also get a smell that could be fuel, but I'm not sure.

2. Occasionally when I fill up the gas tank the gauge will not read 100% full. I could drive a few miles and then stop off and retop off the tank as it didn't fully fill.

Thx,

RAL
Old 02-24-2007, 05:50 PM

Starting issue

Sounds like you might have a problem with your fuel pump and filter. Sometimes the residule pressure that stays in the fuel rails will leak down after a while when the car is off, this could be causing a hard start. To find out that this is ur problem, get a fuel pressure guage and hook it up to your fuel rail shreader valve. Leave the guage on there over night (note the pressure when you put it on, approx. 4bar) then let the car sit over night, its the press drops more than 1bar, youve got an issue with the check valve in your fuel line, which i beleive is located in i think the fuel senders, but possibly in the fuel filter. Good luck, if u have any questions let me know.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Originally Posted by ralittle2
Occasionally when I fill up the gas tank the gauge will not read 100% full. I could drive a few miles and then stop off and retop off the tank as it didn't fully fill.

Thx,

RAL
Fuel sending units have been a common problem in a lot of Benzes. Some only show 3/4 full even when the tank is actually full. The sending unit / tank sensor would need to be replaced if that is the case.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:16 PM

1998 E320
Thanks MBtech360, that does sound like what I am experiencing. I appreciate your input.

Any idea why I'm not fully able to top off the tank. The gauge reads accurately, but occasionally I'm just not able to completely fill the tank. Usually it's about a gallon or so shy. If I drive down the road a bit and then stop off again it will take the additional amount.

Thx,

Ashford
Old 02-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by ralittle2
Any idea why I'm not fully able to top off the tank. The gauge reads accurately, but occasionally I'm just not able to completely fill the tank. Usually it's about a gallon or so shy. If I drive down the road a bit and then stop off again it will take the additional amount.

Ashford
This may sound strange but I have waited until the tank was full (While @ the gas station) and then pushed down on the corner on the car, making it rock for a second. My wife thinks I am stupid but I have been able it get another 1/2 to a full Gal more in the tank. I call it the burping method.

Give it a try
Old 02-25-2007, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
what's weird is that is an indication of an air pocket. one might think that damage
to the tank from below might do it but unlikely, as gravity would result in the
air pocket being at the top of the tank. so somehow, there was either a tank
defect/design....or damage induced from up above. just guessing from keyboard.

(but have seen this with motorcycles more)