E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

BAS ASR light randomly comes on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAS ASR light randomly comes on

Hi folks,

I have a problem with the BAS/ASR light coming on at random times while I am driving my CLK. I have read threads about the brake light switch causing the problem however my local MB dealer has run a diagnostics on the car and maintains it is the ABS controller box and not the brake light switch. He says this needs replacing at a cost of 872 euros + VAT + Labour. Do I believe him or get the switch myself and try replacing it myself?

Has anyone else been told this problemwas associated with an faulty ABS controller box?

Cheers for the help...
Old 02-28-2007, 02:47 PM

2013 E-350 4matic
I would replace the brake switch and see if it does anything. Its very cheap and easy to replace, I did mine for 29.00 total.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:56 PM

2001 E320 Sport
Agreed. I am actually going to replace my friend's stop lamp switch too on her CLK. I would not trust them. The dealer just wants your 800 euros instead of just 20 euros.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:49 PM

None
i havent had my abs box replaced but i would try the switch as it is about $25shipped and takes about a hour to install just a thought.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:20 PM

2000 E55 AMG W210/1999 E300TD w210
Brake light switch

I changed it on a W210 E55 when it had 186,000 miles.The brake lights were on as soon as the key was turned on.Its a plastic delicate switch that can wear out easily.I don't know about it turning on your ASR light. I doubt the ABS unit is worn out.HIGHLY doubt it. They like changing em for customers because they are very expensive and alot of labor $$$$
Old 03-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Almost a Member!

E 240 model 1999 Station wagon
Try this before doing anything. I had the same problem as stated in the first tread. The BAS / ASR light use to come especially in the morning start of the engine. My Car is 1999 E 240. Station wagon
Just sit on the driving seat. Insert your smart key and stop it at stage 2 wherein you can only see all lights in the dash (not cranking the engine) press the brake paddle and count up till 15. Remember the steering should be straight meaning the wheels should be straight. Release the brake paddle and switch off (Take the smart key out from the ignition).
After that start the engine and turn the steering to the right completely and count up till 5. Then turn the steering to the left completely and count again up till 5. Remember not to remove your foot from the brake paddle. That should be pressed during left and right operation or resetting of computer you may call in.. The gear stick should be in the parking position. After that switch off the engine.
Start the engine, hope the lights will never come again (BAS/ASR)
Old 03-04-2007, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by Qamar
Try this before doing anything. I had the same problem as stated in the first tread. The BAS / ASR light use to come especially in the morning start of the engine. My Car is 1999 E 240. Station wagon
Just sit on the driving seat. Insert your smart key and stop it at stage 2 wherein you can only see all lights in the dash (not cranking the engine) press the brake paddle and count up till 15. Remember the steering should be straight meaning the wheels should be straight. Release the brake paddle and switch off (Take the smart key out from the ignition).
After that start the engine and turn the steering to the right completely and count up till 5. Then turn the steering to the left completely and count again up till 5. Remember not to remove your foot from the brake paddle. That should be pressed during left and right operation or resetting of computer you may call in.. The gear stick should be in the parking position. After that switch off the engine.
Start the engine, hope the lights will never come again (BAS/ASR)

If you can do all that while patting your head and rubbing your belly, you can fly a helicopter. lol!