E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

How do I lower my car the right way?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS
Thanks ray.

I spent a crap load of time an research before jumping into my combo. I get compliments on this 7 year old car everyday. Funny, I think.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Esleeper, love the wheels as I think I've mentioned before. I do notice some neg camber on the rear though and I want to warn you that you will start to notice wear on the inside of the tires shortly. I also had a bit of neg camber on my previous E420 and some camber arms from Speedybenz (which I installed myself and I have all of the pics and directions on the install) fixed the problem perfectly.

You car sits really nice right now and that's a good look for it. Are you doing any other mods???
Old 04-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Almost a Member!

'97 E320 W210 Sedan
Love the look Esleeper. I think I might go down 2 pads in the front and the rear. That will put me at 13mm pads in the front and 5 mm pads in the rear which would equate to about a 1.8 inch drop in the front and a 1.6 in the rear. Hopefully it looks good. You've given me some confidence after seeing your ride. I don't think I can go down a whole 2 inches in the front though.

Esleeper, can you send me the offset for your rims? I'm curious what it is, considering you have a 19x10 in the rear.

Jimmy, how long ago did you get the kit from Speedybenz? I tried to email them, and never got a response. Should I just place an order with confidence? Can you send me those pics?

Thanks for all the feedback with this thread. I'll try to post some pics of what my ride looks like right now in a few days.

-Judd

Last edited by PJudd; 04-17-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:26 AM

CLS
No other mods planned unless you call new headlights a mod.

I'll have to look for the offsets on my wheels. I don't rememeber.
http://www.dpengineering.cc/wheels.htm#null

my wheels are the RO 7's Variant S's. They are not HRE's. Half the price though and they are two piece forged and super light. I hated the DPE caps so I threw the caps on. I figure if someone who steals HRE wheels see's mine he will know the difference and leave them alone. lol.

I just told the guy I wanted it not to rub with 9" wheels in front on a 235/35 tire. The reason I wanted to start with #1 pads all the way around is I can go up a pad when the springs settle just like they are now. I don't believe I will ever have a problem with the rears rubbing because of the negative camber. I actually like the look of the negative camber but totally understand wearing out the inside of the tires quick. Been there before too! so thanks Jimmy!

Fortunately I have a buddy at a tire shop so in another month or so I'm just going to flip the tires.

I like the look of the 19's. 18's look nice too. The car being slammed isn't for everyone but if you go with the right combo of springs and shocks or even the Cup Kit that I have ( package so that the springs work together with the shocks ) the car will ride nicely. Again, my car is slammed but does not ride harsh and is super confident at high speeds and is one of the niceset handling sedans I have ever driven.

PJudd,

good luck on your set up. I'm as low as I can go without some serious fender mods or going with a really narrow wheel in front. Like I said, it's not for everyone.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
LOL....yer a rim poser. fooled me though
Old 04-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Almost a Member!

'97 E320 W210 Sedan
Esleeper, I just PM'd you, hit me back please.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:53 PM

2001 E320
Originally Posted by PJudd
I'm new to the forum. I have a 97 E320, and I love it. I have 18x8 inch rims with 225x40x18 tires. I'm interested in lowering my vehicle, but I don't want to compromise the ride quality. I don't want to rub, and I don't want to feel every single bump I hit. I also want my car to still be functional. If I have a friend in the passenger seat and two fat girls in the back I don't want to tear my tires up.

I've read all of the threads on lowering a Mercedes, and they've been very helpful. Right now I'm debating on going with #1 pads all the way around with some H&R springs, or #2 pads all the way around. I want a 1-1.6 inch drop. I want to eliminate the gap between my tires and the wheel well, but I don't want to look like some racer boy riding down the freeway. No offense to the racer boys out there, but I'm 28, and I'm too old for that. I am planning on buying a rear camber kit from speedybenz once I get the drop. Will this kit do the job? I don't want to have trouble with alignments, this car drives perfect right now. Also, what do y'all think about Kleeman springs vs. H&R springs. I emailed Kleeman, and they said the springs would only lower the vehicle 1 inch.

I'd appreciate any advice y'all can give me.

Summary: #1 Pads with H&R springs/Kleeman springs and the Camber kit
or
#2 Pads with either spring set-up with the camber kit???

or
#2 pads in the front and #1 pads in the back?

My menchanic told me to do #2 pads all the way around, and not to change out the springs or the shocks, but I've been reading that you have to change the springs. Is this true?

Let me know what y'all thing so I don't ruin this good car.

Thanks,
Judd
Here's a link to the set up used on my 2001 E320 with the H&R lowering kit and the OEM #2 spring pads. I should have gone to the #1 spring pads...

http://www.geocities.com/mymercedesb...oy_wheels.html
Old 04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Almost a Member!

'97 E320 W210 Sedan
I like the #2 pads on your car with the kit. I think it looks clean, and it doesn't look too extreme. I appreciate the photos. So you never had any rubbing in the front on that knuckle in the photo above?

Raymond, if I was rubbing before on that knuckle in the photo you provided, do you think it may cause a problem once I drop the car? I was outside right now checking the clearence, and it appears that going with the 225 tire cleared the knuckle, but if the knuckle was lowered it may still hit the tire. Does the knuckle lower next to the tire when the vehicle is dropped?

Depending on your answer, I'm thinking I may have to get some new wheels with a different offest, or maybe I have just proven I really do know nothing about MB suspensions. I find it hard to believe that the wrong set of 18's can prevent me from lowering my vehicle.

-Judd
Old 04-18-2007, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Judd, I just responded to your PM. I am out of town on business right now but will look for the install info and pics and send them to you. Please remind me next week in case I forget, hehe...
Old 04-19-2007, 03:50 AM
Almost a Member!

'97 E320 W210 Sedan
After studying the picture in thread #19, it looks to me like that bolt should move with the hub assembly/wheel, and I should continue to have clearence. I don't see how it could lower past the tire and close the gap more between the bolt and the tire. I should be okay with the drop. Does anyone agree?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:20 AM

2001 E320
I like the #2 pads on your car with the kit. I think it looks clean, and it doesn't look too extreme. I appreciate the photos. So you never had any rubbing in the front on that knuckle in the photo above?

-Judd
No rubbing on my setup, though it is pretty conservative in terms of wheel size and lowering.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Almost a Member!

'97 E320 W210 Sedan
Your set-up is conservative, but you still have the same size rims as me. You may have a better off set. Those are 235 series tires, right? I think I'll be okay clearing it.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:59 PM

2001 E320
Your set-up is conservative, but you still have the same size rims as me. You may have a better off set. Those are 235 series tires, right? I think I'll be okay clearing it.
AMG 18x8 Style III et30 Silver - Front
AMG 18x9 Style III et39 Silver - Rear
Bridgestone Potenza RE750 235/40x18 - Front
Bridgestone Potenza RE750 265/35x18 - Rear
Old 04-20-2007, 01:27 AM

CLS
pj,

what are you talking about "the knuckle" Do you mean the tie rod end?
Old 04-21-2007, 04:05 AM

2009 c300
I bought my car already hooked up. I think the ride is a bit harsh on the 19's - I had the wheel off today and was surprised to see HR springs and bilstiens. Then again my other car is a F250 crew cab, so between the harder seats and the rubber band tires on the benz, it's no wonder I think it's a little harsh

Old 04-21-2007, 12:58 PM
SDR

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
'99 C43, '12 C63, '13 E350, '14 Sprinter
I'm a little late to this thread, but felt compelled to share some of my own insights.
Spring and pad combos that result in a particular ride height on one car do not translate to the exact ride on another. The pads can be used to "fine tune" the height to your preference. This is why owning a spring compressor can be such a money saver in the long run. If you have to pay someone to swap pads for you each time it can get costly, whereas if you can do it yourself you'll soon be like me where it can be done in about a half hour on all four corners.
And here's another idea - on our E430 my wife was particularly concerned about ride quality. She liked the look of the E55 ride height, so we found a set of E55 shocks and springs on e-bay. The car sits beatifully now with about a 1" lower stance. I further tuned it with the #1 pads up front (the pad pics were from my project ) and my wife and I both love it. It looks classy, rides like a dream for her and I can still stick in the corners when we go on road trips. It's not as stiff as my C43, but can almost keep up in the twisty's. I think a beefier sway bar and better LCA bushings would round it out nicely. Oh... and no camber issues either.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:40 AM

ESLEEPER, sorry it took me so long to reply. I lost my password and had some problems with my account. I had to open a new one. ANyway, I'm a weather guy, if that's a tie rod, then yes. There's a picture located above that has an arrow pointed to the problem bolt. Please let me know what you think.

Anyone else that PM'd me before, please hit me back again at this user name.

I think I'm going to go with the #2 pads in the front and #1 in the rear, and see what happens first before I spend $700 on a cup kit. Any word on whether I'll need new springs after doing this? I know a lot of you will think I have too much chrome on the car and it's ghetto, but here it is. As you can see I have a lot of gap, even with the 235 series tires in this picture.

Thanks!

-Judd
Attached Thumbnails How do I lower my car the right way?-dscn0974.jpg  

Last edited by Pjudd1; 04-25-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:57 PM

If I go with #2 pads in the front, will I need 4 eccentric bolts for the alignment?? Anyone?

-Judd
Old 04-30-2007, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Pjudd1
If I go with #2 pads in the front, will I need 4 eccentric bolts for the alignment?? Anyone?

-Judd
I don't think you will because you're camber shouldn't be off by that much. I would switch the pads out first and then determine if you should buy the bolts or not...
Old 05-09-2007, 08:44 PM

I went with the #2 pads in the front and #1 in the rear, and it looks great. There's no rub at all. I probably could have gone with the #1 pads in the front, but I think I'm sitting good for 19's now. I'm not getting the H&R kit, it looks fine.

-Judd
Old 05-09-2007, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I went with the #2 pads in the front and #1 in the rear, and it looks great. There's no rub at all. I probably could have gone with the #1 pads in the front, but I think I'm sitting good for 19's now. I'm not getting the H&R kit, it looks fine.

-Judd

Pics! Pics! Pics!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:55 PM

2009 c300

-Judd
I got my car already lowered and I think the front is a little too low. I am assuming that this is because of #1 pads. How do I check? How hard are they to swap out? I would like to try #2 and see if I like the look better. Easy?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:52 PM

Call the dealer with your vin number and they'll tell you what you were running before. I was running 21mm in the front, and 13mm in the rear. Now I'm running 9mm in the front and 5mm in the rear. The before picture is a few threads up. Here's the after. Kind of a bad picture, it's on a hill, but the front looks level with the rear on a flat surface. I might upgrade to 19's in the future so I was hesitant to go with 5mm pads up front. I paid about $350 to swap the pads and $115 for the alignment.

-Judd
Attached Thumbnails How do I lower my car the right way?-dscn1025.jpg  
Old 06-12-2007, 01:23 AM

Call the dealer with your vin number and they'll tell you what you were running before. I was running 21mm in the front, and 13mm in the rear. Now I'm running 9mm in the front and 5mm in the rear. The before picture is a few threads up. Here's the after. Kind of a bad picture, it's on a hill, but the front looks level with the rear on a flat surface. I might upgrade to 19's in the future so I was hesitant to go with 5mm pads up front. I paid about $350 to swap the pads and $115 for the alignment.

-Judd
That price for swapping the pads (about $350) sounds kinda steep to me. I know I'll be cranking out for tools for this...
Old 06-12-2007, 10:27 AM

2009 c300
Originally Posted by Down South
That price for swapping the pads (about $350) sounds kinda steep to me. I know I'll be cranking out for tools for this...
I agree - $350? Do you just remove the wheel, then drop out the spring? Does any have a step by step on how to do this? My fenders are rolled and the 19's tuck nice... it just looks a tad bit too low for me.

Thanks for any feedback.

-Dylan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do I lower my car the right way?