E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Crash w/o Airbag???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
I have worked with MB on airbag systems and, yes, the airbags will deploy with or without seatbelts. In fact on some models the inflation force will be different depending on whether seatbelts are used or not.

The sensors used to detect impact come from Temic, TRW or similar supplier, but all depend on accelerometers to measure g-force, and will deploy if it exceeds a certain level (5-8g's). Looking at the damage, it's hard to fathom that this accident didn't exceed that. Please keep us posted on the findings - my car looks the same (but currently intact).

I would still recommend talking to a lawyer. Not so much to increase your compensation, but to keep the pressure up on MB - they listen more when product liability in the US is at stake.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:07 PM

2001 E320 Sport
I am glad you and your family are for the most part okay. Definitely take the others' advise and consult a lawyer. The airbags definitely should have deployed in this instance. I am glad the structure held up though. Keep us posted on this and I hope everything turns out for the best for your family.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:46 AM

Fyi

http://www.stfblaw.com/NoteworthyCases28.jsp
Old 04-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 E320 90k
Unhappy

I am sorry to hear about this accident and I hope everything turns out well for you and your family.

As for these legendary automobiles...

Can the airbag system be tested for reliability?
I am begining to worry about my 1997's safety features. I believe it says in the door jam the airbags expire in 2012. Before reading this situation, I assumed the airbags and safety systems would be fine unless there was some sort of error message or code in the computer.

Jason
Old 04-25-2007, 10:48 AM

Wanted to give a brief update: I have talked to the person that evaluated my car. The information/report has to be sent to an engineering group and then MB Legal before it can be released. I was only able to get general info about the airbag system. He was not able to give any info until they get a legal release...imagine that!!

What I have gleamed...between the lines....that the system did not reach the threshold to deploy!! The W210 is equipped with an ETD system (electronic tensioning device). The is a small cylinder that deploy in the early impact to pull the slack out of each seatbelt. They are on each corner (not the middle rear seatbelt). In my car all fired and operated. At some point the system is suppose to determine that the belts/body cannot sustain the load and then the airbag deploy.

The car is equipped with 2 stage airbags (front airbags). The initial firing inflates the bag and if the sensors see more load, the bag is full inflated. Essentially, the bag inflates to anticipate an amount of crash somewhat before all the data is available.

In so many words, I have learned that MB feels that other manufacturers systems deploy early and sometimes don't protect for the real impact (secondary impact). Maybe you get hit in the front and then have another impact with a tree....kind-of save the firing for the big impact. The bags can fire at a lower level if the seatbelts are not worn....all of this is evaluated by the sensors.

The car structure has to absorb a great deal of energy......when it can no longer absorb and too much deceleration is going into the occupants, the bags are suppose to deploy.

One point that was made is that the amount of damage is not reason to see the airbag deployed.......damage is there to crumple/absorb the deceleration.

Most of this was found during conversation and are between the lines info. I can re-post if I get more information.......please answer my post titled "4matic or not" ....trying to look a car options if I consider an E320.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Red face I am so glad you were in a MB

Wow, what a bad experience! I am happy that all walked away.
These MB are built to save the lives of the occupants and it looks like that engineering is correct.
BTW MB's have a staged deploy system that does a whole lot to reduce injury from un needed restraint (belts/bags).
Glad you were in a MB!

BG
Old 04-27-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did your door airbag go off because it looks like it in the pictures
Old 04-28-2007, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
count yourself lucky but MB's are tanks when it comes to a accident.....

sometimes aribags aren't too safe so in a way you might have been lucky it didn;t go off.......i've seen and heard some nasty stories on air bags
Old 04-28-2007, 09:42 AM

While I still think you had sufficient g's to trigger the airbag, and MB knows that, the accident damage itself looks less severe than the 40 mph crash tests at iihs.org

If they aren't telling you the specific g's that trigger each of the firing events (seatbelts, airbag stage 1 & stage 2), and what your crash registered, then they aren't being forthcoming, which suggests they have a reason to be evasive.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:57 PM

Still waiting for their legal dept to release the findings!!

Nimski62,
No door airbags....no airbags deployed anywhere!