E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Would any paint effects be interesting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
1997 E420
Would any paint effects be interesting?

Hey everyone,

Some of you may cringe at what I'm about to ask, but are there any paint effects that can be done to a w210 that would be more interesting than a straight, uniform color/pearl/metallic?

Here are the options I'm tossing around in my head (of course, I'd only go in one of these directions, if any):

-- two tone paint where the two paints were almost the same color or airbrush effects that VERY VERY subtly make you think there is a ridge in the side panels like the newer body styles (probably to extend the side window baseline forward and back)

-- very subtle airbrush paint effects throughout to add depth to the paint (see the most subtle effects used on motorcycle tanks to get an idea about what I'm thinking)

-- use airbrushing to highlight the ACTUAL curves of the car with slight changes in color along certain lines

-- use airbrushing to highlight ACTUAL curves PLUS try to create certain illusions through color variation, such as widebody fenders or more curve in the sidepanels than actually exists

-- go all out with bold swaths of color for sport/racing paint and graphics

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Note that the intention here is to be tasteful, so I hope that I'm not talking about anything wild and crazy. I guess I'm trying to figure out something that would qualify as "show paint" but that would be appropriate for a benz. I just want to do something more interesting with the paint than spray a straight color and pearl on it... if something can be done tastefully.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy
Hey everyone,

Some of you may cringe at what I'm about to ask, but are there any paint effects that can be done to a w210 that would be more interesting than a straight, uniform color/pearl/metallic?

Here are the options I'm tossing around in my head (of course, I'd only go in one of these directions, if any):

-- two tone paint where the two paints were almost the same color or airbrush effects that VERY VERY subtly make you think there is a ridge in the side panels like the newer body styles (probably to extend the side window baseline forward and back)

-- very subtle airbrush paint effects throughout to add depth to the paint (see the most subtle effects used on motorcycle tanks to get an idea about what I'm thinking)

-- use airbrushing to highlight the ACTUAL curves of the car with slight changes in color along certain lines

-- use airbrushing to highlight ACTUAL curves PLUS try to create certain illusions through color variation, such as widebody fenders or more curve in the sidepanels than actually exists

-- go all out with bold swaths of color for sport/racing paint and graphics

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Note that the intention here is to be tasteful, so I hope that I'm not talking about anything wild and crazy. I guess I'm trying to figure out something that would qualify as "show paint" but that would be appropriate for a benz. I just want to do something more interesting with the paint than spray a straight color and pearl on it... if something can be done tastefully.

Check Out the PPG Color Change Paint..That changes color with Temp...

I Was Going to spray the panels on my smart..until he quoted me the price for the Paint...its priced by the Gram $$$$$$$$$$...Oh Yeah then The Paint requires a Special Base coat and Clear coat...