E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

resonance valve and intake flaps...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resonance valve and intake flaps...

Hello All,

I drive a 2000 E280. This one has the intake manifold with the flaps that make the intake shorter or longer.

As far as I can see the parts involved they are: vacuum hose from manifold to electroswitch, vacuum hose from electroswitch to pressure valve/resonance valve and this one moves a lever that moves the internal flaps.

Question is: how do i test the correct workings of this system? I can move the lever from the resonance valve by hand with engine turned off and at idle. At idle te valve is in closed position. I would assume that since the valve takes power to move that it would move at low rpm since then the vacuum is highest.
So my question would be: if at idle, what would the position of the lever be? low or pulled in/up by the valve?
I have tested the valve by pulling off the vacuum hose to the electrswitch, if i then lift the lever and keep my thumb on the valve stays the lever keeps up so there is no leak in the pressure valve.
Are my assumptions correct and how do i test the workings?

Thanks,

marc
Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'98 E320 4Matic, '85 380SL
The intake should divert the air along the longer route at idle.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
txs

MMMM just checked on my neighbours six cylinder. The lever stays in rest position during idle...so I assume that at higher rpm the lever moves under lack of vacuum and then closes the flap. thereby shortening the airpath...

Still strange becaus ethe vacuum hose from the intake goes to the top of the valve. Suggesting that the vacuum puls the lever in. Since vacuum is highest at idle the logical though would be that under high vacuum the lever is pulled in and at lower vacuum the lever falls back out.....

Thanks,

Marc

Last edited by marc lenssen; 04-17-2007 at 12:10 PM.