E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Vibration when gas is depressed...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Vibration when gas is depressed...any ideas?

I was hoping some of you knowledgeable forum members could help. I own a 2001 e320. My problem occurs at all different speeds, but mainly at above 70 mph. As I depress the gas slightly the car shutters and will maintain this shuttering/vibration for 5-10 secs and then become smoother. If I go over 80mph the car will shake when I let off the gas and am gradually slowing down. I have been reading and have a few possibilities: motor mount, transmission mount, possible out of round/unbalanced tires...etc.

I have ruled out tires for the most part because the car would shake almost all the time, not only when I slightly depress the gas at higher speeds. The motor mounts are a possibility, but if that was the problem wouldnt it also vibrate when idling??!! Any suggestions would be welcome. Just dont want to pay a dealer hundreds of dollars to diagnose problem, but realize it may be the only option. Thanks guys!

AJ
Old 04-24-2007, 05:07 PM

W210 E320
throttle body, MAF
Old 04-25-2007, 04:29 PM

07 E350
Check the motor mounts, I was having a similar problem, thought it was the alignment/tire balance.

Took my 02 E320 to the dealer, had them check everything including the motor mounts and the front two were collapsed (they're liquid filled, not solid) and sure enough she's purring like a kitten again.

The car had a somewhat rough idle but they also replaced the spark plug wires because the 1, 3, 5, & 6 were "high resistance" so they did them all. Idle is now smooth.

It only did it when I depressed the gas pedal or when I was cruising at higher speeds, then it almost became a constant "thrumming". It was somewhat "normal" at idle.

(this was all done under the extended warranty.)