E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E300 w210 Upper Control Arm (passenger side) R&R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
E300 w210 Upper Control Arm (passenger side) R&R

I've removed the airbox and have access to the bolt from the upper control arm but am unable to find the nut on the rear of this bolt so that I can replace the upper control arm. I've also removed the computer cover but don't see the rear nut from the bolt.

Any hints?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
figured it out... It was a PITA!!!!

Process... found a body plug inside the wheel well. Using a box cutter I slide the knife along the outer edges of the rubberized lining, just enough to break the lining so that I could access the plug without going through the plug. I did that to both sides and kept working my fingers, flexing the body plug and finally working it until removed. Next I used a 16mm open ended wrench to locate the nut and secure it while rotating the head of the bolt with a ratchet.

How do I put it back together you may ask? That's where the fun (PITA) begin. Reading my WIS and AllData references, (they both state the same) is that for the passenger side you need to remove the airbox. Nothing is stated/mentioned how to secure the nut once it is off of the bolt threads for re-installation. The only approach I saw possible was to remove the computer assembly and attempt to reach it that way. Disconnecting the computers wasn't as much the issue as there was handling all of the wires running everywhere. As you will see in the pictures, the computer enclosure is composed of three partitions. The upper portion which can be completely removed, the midsection (moved and visible in photos below) and the base.

The point in removing the computers/enclosure was to be able to get your hand/finger(s) access to grab the nut and to at least hold it in place during re-installation. The rear most module (N10) proved to be the most challenging. The gray plug needs to be removed first. prior to pivoting the metal lever to release the module from it's connector. Once removed there are 4 or so bolts holding down the mid-section of the enclosure. Once removed you gain increased access to the base of the enclosure. Some may stop at this point if you have small hands or can get your wife/significant sweetness involved. I used my dash removal tool to fish the bolt out through the body plug in the fender well.

IF, you can't access this bolt to be able to hold the nut in place during re-installation, then read on. The older I get the more I seek for the simplest solution(s) toward resolving a conflict. In this case my hands were too big and my significant others were just a smidge too tight for her to squeeze them in. So, I proceeded with completely loosening the visible screws that hold the base of the enclosure to the vehicle, there are 2 closely visible on the firewall and then 2 towards the drivers side. The upper on the driver's side is accessible, while the lower is not. But, this did give me enough room and play of the enclosure base to lift it up slightly (beads of sweat were dripping off of forehead) while I involved my significant other in securing the nut onto the end of the bolt.

*ENTERTAINMENT* - the easiest and most secure way to secure this bolt while re-installation is to fit the nut in between significant other OR assistant's index and middle fingers. Using, in this case masking tape, taping the top of the fingers together and the bottom of the fingers together so that they DO NOT move (loosing the bolt), during this crucial procedure. Our success was on the first try, so it's possible but odd looking. (wish I took a photo :-) ) Nevertheless, I was able to install my 16mm wrench (using the closed ended side) approaching the nut from the top, where the computers are housed to secure the nut while tightening the bolt with a ratchet.

I recommend using an assistant during dis-assembly of the mid-section of the enclosure as it may slide down off of the climate air intake assembly, (unable to completely remove due to one main harness connector). It will keep the process enjoyable and reduce/elliminate swearing during this ordeal. Also, take frequent breaks :-)

Hope I was able to help. I don't thing anyone else on this forum has attempted the upper control arm replacement. At least couldn't find any threads performing the such....

Enjoy the photos!
Attached Thumbnails E300 w210 Upper Control Arm (passenger side) R&R-dsc01139.jpg   E300 w210 Upper Control Arm (passenger side) R&R-dsc01140.jpg   E300 w210 Upper Control Arm (passenger side) R&R-dsc01141.jpg   E300 w210 Upper Control Arm (passenger side) R&R-dsc01142_1.jpg   E300 w210 Upper Control Arm (passenger side) R&R-dsc01142_2.jpg  

Old 06-20-2007, 01:54 PM

W210 W140
Wow. Thank you for the informational write-up. I hope I don't have to do this soon.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 E300D
Alternate to taping the fingers! W210 E320 upper ball joint diy

I decided to take advantage of a warm morning (35 degrees out in the unheated garage) and tackle a much needed couple of items: I replaced my passenger side upper ball joint / control arm and both front shocks this morning - about 3 hours from start to finish. The most daunting aspect, without question, dealt with how to r&r the nut buried below the computer box. I tried every way to reach that sucker, and ended up pulling all computer components (pretty logical - just study each connector & detach carefully!), detaching the upper portion of the box (not totally, just enough to slide up and a bit out of the way) to access the nut. Removal was easy - just reach in with your 16mm open end wrench and hang on. I fished out the nut with a hooked tool. Re installation is what caused me to take pause, as with the original author of this string. What I eventually did was to goop the nut with some rubber cement and slide it onto the wrench. This worked GREAT, and did not allow the nut to fall off, but rather to pivot ever so slightly in order to engage the bolt being manipulated by my other hand. Reassembly of the computer bits & all else is pretty straightforward. The pics I have included also show the glue approach. Maybe not for everyone, but worked for this guy.
Attached Thumbnails E300 w210 Upper Control Arm (passenger side) R&R-imag0346.jpg   E300 w210 Upper Control Arm (passenger side) R&R-imag0348.jpg   E300 w210 Upper Control Arm (passenger side) R&R-imag0349.jpg  
Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally Posted by PackerBacker
I decided to take advantage of a warm morning (35 degrees out in the unheated garage) and tackle a much needed couple of items: I replaced my passenger side upper ball joint / control arm and both front shocks this morning - about 3 hours from start to finish. The most daunting aspect, without question, dealt with how to r&r the nut buried below the computer box. I tried every way to reach that sucker, and ended up pulling all computer components (pretty logical - just study each connector & detach carefully!), detaching the upper portion of the box (not totally, just enough to slide up and a bit out of the way) to access the nut. Removal was easy - just reach in with your 16mm open end wrench and hang on. I fished out the nut with a hooked tool. Re installation is what caused me to take pause, as with the original author of this string. What I eventually did was to goop the nut with some rubber cement and slide it onto the wrench. This worked GREAT, and did not allow the nut to fall off, but rather to pivot ever so slightly in order to engage the bolt being manipulated by my other hand. Reassembly of the computer bits & all else is pretty straightforward. The pics I have included also show the glue approach. Maybe not for everyone, but worked for this guy.
Nice job brahh! Thanks for posting your method. It's really not that bad, even removing all the computers, etc... except re-installing that nut for the upper control arm bolt that can become a pain.

Nothin' us DIY'ers can't figure out
Old 01-22-2020, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 e300 td
Thank you for the write up and pictures! I'm stuck on trying to find the 3rd and 4th bolt on the driver side of the lowest portion of the computer box. I looked for 10 minutes and couldn't find it. I removed the other two that go into the firewall which allowed a small amount of movement, but not enough to gain access to the 16mm nut on the backside of the bolt. Are those lower portion bolts hidden somehow and just need to be felt for?