E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Help! Center brake-light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E430 & 06 C230
Exclamation Help! Center brake-light

Hi guys, my center brake light decides to stop working; however, my computer didn't not show a lamp error. (maybe another problem?)

I need directions on how to disassemble the center brake light so that I can get to the bulb. I've attached pictures to show what my center brake light looks like.

1st pic: The brake-light I have from the outside of the car
2nd pic: I took the cover from inside the car and this is what I see
3rd pic: The module from the left
4th pic: The module from the right
5th pic: Same as 2nd pic but further away

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Help! Center brake-light-p1010668.jpg   Help! Center brake-light-p1010664.jpg   Help! Center brake-light-p1010665.jpg   Help! Center brake-light-p1010666.jpg   Help! Center brake-light-p1010667.jpg  

Old 10-30-2007, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by alan16828
Hi guys, my center brake light decides to stop working; however, my computer didn't not show a lamp error. (maybe another problem?)

I need directions on how to disassemble the center brake light so that I can get to the bulb. I've attached pictures to show what my center brake light looks like.

1st pic: The brake-light I have from the outside of the car
2nd pic: I took the cover from inside the car and this is what I see
3rd pic: The module from the left
4th pic: The module from the right
5th pic: Same as 2nd pic but further away

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
You should be able to pull back panel out, I think there's two tab to the side. Ziggle a bit, and they'll go out, then pull the bulb out.

Chance is, nothing is wrong with the bulb (same happened to mine). Some of the 97/98 have problem where the computer somehow stop sending power to the third brake light, and it's intermittent. It's actually good that it didn't trigger the lamp fail message (the two rear brake light do, however), otherwise, it would drive you nut.

From what my friend told me, the proper fix at the dealer (if customer insist or if warranty claim), is to replace the entire control unit, $1500 part + labor.

The easiest fix is to run a wire from one of the two rear brake light to that third brake light. Take out the liner, and run the wire along, pretty simple job. And that's what I did.

If you pull out the bulb, and turn out that it's burned, then it's the easiest job

Last edited by zam2000; 10-30-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 PM

'97 MB E420 Sport/'88 MR2
same thing happened to me recently. I said screw it. It's a german car, and last I remember, european cars never had a third brake light
Old 10-16-2008, 01:13 AM

2004 E320 4matic
Hi,
I know it's been a long time since your post about the brake light but I just recently had the same problem and think I have the fix. If you already changed the bulb and the light still does not work you have to remove the whole fixture. In your picture #2 if you look between the 2 wire conectors under the Hella logo on the back of the light there is a tab that you can lift up and remove the light fixture by sliding it away from the window. You do not have to disconnect any wires they come out with the fixture. On the bottom of the fixture are two pieces of bent metal that are connected to the wires and make contact with plates under the brake light fixture. On my car one of the pieces was not making proper contact and was arcing and pitting. I cleaned and rebent the metal so that it is making solid contact and now the light is working perfectly with the original bulb back in place. Hope this helps. I didn't take any pictures but if I get a chance I will and post them later.